Dr. Ajay Mallia
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Office A-1481
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 470.389.1382
- Email Address email@example.com
Dr. Ajay Mallia is an assistant professor of chemistry at Georgia Gwinnett College, Lawrenceville. Before joining GGC, Mallia worked as a research assistant professor at Georgetown University, Washington D.C., where he was involved in the design, synthesis and characterization of soft materials. Mallia also held faculty positions at University of Maryland, College Park, University of District of Columbia, Trinity Washington University and Montgomery College. Prior to Washington, D.C., Mallia performed research on metal nanoparticle preparations at City University of New York and erasable full color displays using liquid crystals at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Japan. Mallia’s research work has appeared as a cover feature in many flagship journals, including Journal of the American Chemical Society, Chemical Society Reviews and Langmuir. He has published 39 peer-reviewed publications and presented his research work at various national and international conferences.
Mallia is an active leader at national and local levels of American Chemical Society. He is 2017 chair-elect for the ACS Georgia Section. Mallia is secretary and a committee member of Project SEED national committee and a certified facilitator for ACS Leadership Development System. Before moving to Lawrenceville, Mallia has served Chemical Society of Washington as executive committee member, alternate councilor and chair of many of committees. For his volunteer service to American Chemical Society, Mallia was awarded E. Ann Nalley regional award and outstanding local section volunteer award in 2014.
- Mallia, V. A.; Samai, S.; Weiss, R. G.; Cholesterol and dihydrocholesterol are simple steroidal molecular gelators: How one double bond controls the structure and mechanotropic properties of their gels. ChemistrySelect 2016, 1, 4965-4972.
- Alvarez-Mitre F. M.; Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G.; Toro-Vazquez, J. F. Self-assembly in vegetable oils of ionic gelators derived from (R)-12-hydroxystearic acid. Food Structure 2016 Accepted for publication.
- Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Correlations between thixotropic and structural propertis of molecular gels with crystalline networks. Soft Matter 2016, 12, 3665-3676.
- Mallia, V. A.; Blair, D. L; Weiss, R. G. Oscillatory rheology and surface water wave effects on crude oil and corn oil gels with (R)-12-hydroxystearic acid as gelator. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2016, 55, 954-960.
- Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Molecular gels of (R)-12-hydroxy-N-(ω-hydroxyalkyl)octadecanamides. Structural bases for rates of formation and very fast response to destructive strain. Soft Matter 2015, 11, 5010-5022.
- M. Rogers, X. Liu, Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Dissecting kinetic pathways to formation of the fibrillar objects in molecular gels using synchrotron FT-IR. Cryst. Eng. Commun, 2015, 17, 8085-8092.
- Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Self-assembled fibrillar networks and molecular gels employing 12-hydroxystearic acid and its isomers and derivatives. J. Phys. Org. Chem. 2014, 27, 310-315.
- Mallia, V. A.; Seo, H.; Weiss, R. G. Influence of anions and alkyl chain lengths of N-alkyl-n-(R)-12-hydroxy octadecyl ammonium salts on their hydrogels and organogels. Langmuir, 2013, 29, 6476-6484.
- Bag, B. G.; Majumdar, R.; Dinda, S. K.; Dey, P. P.; Maity, G. C.; Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Self-assembly of ketals of arjunolic acid into vesicles and fibers yielding gel-like dispersions. Langmuir 2013, 29, 1766-1778.
- Toro-Vazquez, J. F.; Morales-Rueda, J.; Martinez, A. T.; Alonso, M. A. C.; Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Cooling rate effects on the microstructure, solid content and rheological properties of organogels of amides derived from stearic acid and (R)-12-hydroxystearic acid in vegetable oil Langmuir, 2013, 29, 7642-7654.
- Mallia, V. A.; Butler, P. D.; Sarkar, B.; Holman, K. T.; Weiss, R. G. Reversible phase transitions within self-assembled fibrillar networks of (R)-18-(n-alkylamino)octadecan-7-ols in their carbon tetrachloride gels J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 15045-15054.
- Mallia, V. A.; Terech, P.; Weiss R. G. Correlations of properties and structures at different length scales of hydro- and organogels based on N-alkyl-(R)-12-hydroxyoctadecylammonium chlorides. J. Phys. Chem. B 2011, 115, 12401-12414.
- Toro-Vazquez, J. F.; Morales-Rueda, J.; Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Relation between molecular structure and thermo mechanical properties of candelilla wax and amides derived from (R)-12-hydroxystearic acid as gelators for safflower oil. Food Biophys. 2010, 5, 193-202.
- Mallia, V. A.; George, M.; Blair, D.; Weiss, R. G. Robust organogels from nitrogen-containing derivatives of (R)-12-hydroxystearic acid as gelators: comparisons with gels from stearic acid derivatives. Langmuir 2009, 25, 8615-8625.
- Bag, B. G.; Dinda, S. K.; Dey, P. P.; Mallia, V. A.; Weiss, R. G. Self-assembly of esters of arjunolic acid into fibrous networks and the properties of their organogels. Langmuir 2009, 25, 8663-8671.
- Mallia V. A.; Vemula, P. K.; John, G.; Kumar, A.; Ajayan, P. M. In situ synthesis and assembly of gold nanoparticles embedded in glass forming liquid crystals. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 3269-3274.
- Mallia, V. A.; Funahashi, M.; Tamaoki, N. Study of unsymmetrical dimesogens containing 4-heptylazobenzene. J. Phys. Org. Chem. 2007, 20, 878-883.
- Vemula, P. K.; Mallia V. A.; Bizati, K.; John, G. Cholesterol phenoxy hexanoate mesogens: effect of lateral substituents on their liquid crystalline behavior and in situ metal nanoparticle synthesis. Chem. Mater. 2007, 19, 5203-5206.
- Vemula, P. K.; Mallia V. A.; Aslam, U..; John, G. “In situ synthesis of gold nanoparticles using molecular gels and liquid crystals from vitamin-C amphiphiles. Chem. Mater. 2007, 19, 138-140.
- Abraham, S.; Mallia, V. A.; Rateesh, K. V.; Tamaoki, N.; Das, S. Reversible thermal and photochemical switching of liquid crystalline phases and luminescence in diphenyl butadiene-based mesogenic dimers. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 7692-7698.
- Akiyama, H.; Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Novel photoresponsive oligomeric mesogens: synthesis, liquid crystalline properties and photo optical studies as a dopant in a chiral glassy liquid crystal. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2006, 16, 477-484.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Study of chiral dimesogens: liquid crystalline properties, effect of smectic cybotactic domains in controlling the chiral reflections and glassy liquid crystal forming properties. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 2006, 454, 81-90.
- Kumaresan, S.; Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Thermal and photooptical properties of azoxybenzene/alkyloxy azobenzene–cholesterol with alkyl diacetylene linker containing dimesogens. J. Mater. Res. 2005, 20, 3431-3438.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Photoactive dimesogen having different pathways of light driven phase transitions at different temperatures. Chem. Commun. 2004, 2538-2539.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Design of chiral dimesogens forming new molecular organizations and their application to molecular photonics. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2004, 33, 76-84.
- Matsumoto, M.; Nakazawa, T.; Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N.; Azumi, R.; Sakai, H.; Abe, M. Hysteresis in photoresponsivity of langmuir film of amphiphilic spiropyran. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 1006-1007.
- Davis, R.; Mallia, V. A.; Das, S.; Tamaoki, N. Butadienes as novel photochromes for color tuning of cholesteric glasses: influence of microscopic molecular reorganization within the helical super structure. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2004, 14, 743-748.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Photo-thermal effects of some cholesterol azobenzene containing dimesogens. Trans. Mater. Res. Soc. Jpn. 2004, 29, 3123-3125.
- Antharjanam, P. K. S.; Mallia, V. A.; Das, S. Synthesis and study of novel azopyridine containing hexacatenar silver mesogens. Liq. Cryst. 2004, 31, 713-717.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Photochemically driven smectic-cholesteric phase transition in an inherently photoactive dimesogen. Chem. Mater. 2003, 15, 3237-3239.
- Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Photoresponsive vitrifiable chiral dimesogens: photo-thermal modulation of microscopic disordering in helical superstructure and glass-forming properties. J. Mater. Chem. 2003, 13, 219-224.
- Davis, R.; Mallia, V. A.; Das, S. Reversible photochemical phase transition behaviour of alkoxy-cyano-substituted diphenylbutadiene liquid crystals. Chem. Mater. 2003, 15, 1057-1063.
- Takahashi, A.; Mallia, V. A.; Tamaoki, N. Novel supramolecular hydrogen-bonded cholesteric mesogens: liquid crystalline, thermoptical and glass-forming properties. J. Mater. Chem. 2003, 13, 1582-1587.
- Mallia, V. A.; Antharjanam, P. K. S.; Das, S. Synthesis and studies of some substituted 4-phenyl, 4'-azopyridine containing hydrogen bonded supramolecular mesogens. Liq. Cryst. 2003, 30, 135-141.
- Antharjanam, P. K. S.; Mallia, V. A.; Das, S. Novel azopyridine-containing silver mesogens; synthesis, liquid crystalline and photophysical properties. Chem. Mater. 2002, 14, 2687-2692.
- Mallia, V. A.; Antharjanam, P. K. S.; Das, S. Chiral nematic glasses from novel hydrogen bonded mesogens. Chem. Lett. 2001, 752-753.
- Mallia, V. A.; Das, S. Synthesis and studies of some cholest-5-en-3-ol-(3)[4-phenyl- pyridyl-azo]carbonate containing supra-molecular hydrogen bonded mesogens. Liq. Cryst. 2001, 28, 259-264.
- George, M.; Mallia, V. A.; Antharjanam, P. K. S.; Saminathan, M.; Das, S. Synthesis and studies of some cholesterol containing liquid crystals. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 2000, 350, 125-139.
- Mallia, V. A.; George, M.; Das, S. Photochemical phase transition in hydrogen bonded liquid crystals. Chem. Mater. 1999, 11, 207-208.
- American Chemical Society
- The Council on Undergraduate Research