Dr. Elizabeth Cavalier
Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Office RL-3305B
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 678.834.9445
- Email Address email@example.com
Dr. Cavalier graduated with a Ph.D. in sociology from Georgia State University in December 2009. Her dissertation,“Working it ‘Out’: Employee Negotiations of Sexual Identity in Sport Organizations” examines the experiences of gay, lesbian and bisexual employees in professional, collegiate and co-ed sport. She primarily studies sport, with a particular focus on gender and sexuality. She has a wealth of college teaching experience at both the introductory and upper levels and earned a certificate of excellence in teaching in higher education as a graduate student. Her current research projects examine community sports, aging and sexuality.
- Doctorate – sociology – Georgia State University
- Master's – sociology – Georgia State University
- Bachelor's – sociology – Ithaca College
- Sport sociology
- Sexuality and gender
- Teaching and learning
- Social inequality
- Cavalier, Elizabeth. 2012. “I Don’t ‘Look Gay’: Sexual Identity Disclosure Differences in Men’s, Women’s, and Co-Ed Sport.” Chapter in Handbook of Sport, Gender and Sexuality, Edited by Jennifer Hargreaves and Eric Anderson, Routledge.
- Cavalier, Elizabeth. 2011. “Men at Sport: Gay Men’s Experiences in the Sport Workplace.” Journal of Homosexualities 58 (5): 626-646.
- Cavalier, Elizabeth and Elisabeth Burgess. 2009. “Too Young to Consent.” Sex Matters: The Sexuality and Society Reader (3rd Edition), Edited by Mindy Stombler, Dawn M. Baunach, Elisabeth O. Burgess, Denise Donnelly, Wendy Simonds, and Elroi J. Windsor. Pearson Education.
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence – Georgia State University
- Hybrid Teaching Fellow – Georgia Gwinnett College
- Dr. Jacqueline Boles Teaching Fellowship – Georgia State University