Dr. Irina Escalante-Chernova
Assistant Professor of Music
- Office I-2103
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 678.516.7008
- Email Address email@example.com
Dr. Irina Escalante-Chernova is a composer and pianist born in Cuba. In 2000, she received the “Residence” award at the 27th International Competition of Electro Acoustic Music and Sonic Art, in Bourges, France, for her first electronic piece “La Primavera del Angel.” In 2001, she obtained her bachelor of music degree in composition at the Higher Institute of Arts in Havana. She continued her studies at Dartmouth College where she was awarded a master of arts degree in electro-acoustic music. She finished her doctoral degree in music theory and music composition at Florida State University in 2009. Her works have been performed in various concerts and festivals of contemporary music in Latin America, Europe and the United States.
- Doctorate – music composition and music theory – Florida State University in Tallahassee
- Master’s – electro-acoustic music – Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH
- Bachelor’s – music composition – Higher Institute of Arts in Havana, Cuba
- Other – diploma in music theory – José White Music School in Camaguey, Cuba
- Electro-acoustic music
- New and creative approaches to classroom teaching
- Interaction with electronics and acoustic instrument live performance
- Projects for modern dance
- Instrumental extended techniques in modern music
A selection of principal publications: articles, books; about the work of the Cuban composer Irina Escalante (in English, French and Spanish).
- Computer Music Journal, Winter 2000, Vol. 24, No. 4 , Pages 4-8
- Edited by Maya Hoover, A Guide to the Latin American Art Song Repertoire. An Annotated Catalog of Twentieth-Century Art Songs for Voice and Piano. Page 148. Cuba. Irina Escalante-Chernova "Tres Canciones"
- Con música, textos y presencia de Mujer. Ediciones UNIÓN. 2005 Categoría: Libros cubanos Autor: Alicia Valdés. Diccionario, Translation: With music, text and the presence of the Woman. UNION Edition. 2005. Category: Cuban Books. Author: Alicia Valdés. Diccionary
- MUSIQUE CONTEMPORAINE. Cette ressource est disponible chez l'organisme suivant : Bibliothèque nationale de France. Titre: La primavera del angel / Irina ESCALANTE CHERNOVA. Publication: IMEB (Bourges), 4 2001. Note(s) Droits: Catalogue en ligne de la Bibliothèque nationale de France, Rights: French National Library online Catalog
- Catalog of Latin American and Spanish Women Composers presented by Dra. Carmen Cecilia Piñero Gil. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 1998.
- (2001) “Residence” award at the 27th International Competition of Electro Acoustic Music and Sonic Art in Bourges, France.
- (1998) First Prize on Chamber Music in the First Composition Contest of Santa Clara, Cuba, with the work String Quartet No. 1 sponsored by the UNEAC (National Union of Writers and Artist of Cuba.
- (1992) Prize to the best performing of Cuban music, in the section of Complementary Piano of the contest Luis Casas Romero in Camagüey, Cuba