Dr. James Lowry
Associate Professor of Human Geography
- Office C-1330
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 470.217.1305
- Email Address email@example.com
Dr. James Lowry was born in Charleston, S.C. and lived in Big Spring, Texas; Tripoli, Libya; Gastonia, N.C.; Atwater, Calif.; and Warner Robins, Ga. through age 13, as father his was in the U.S. Air Force. He moved back to Gastonia, N.C. (parents’ home town), when his father retired, and lived there until graduate school. Lowry has since lived in Greenville, N.C.; Tucson, Ariz.; Chico, Calif.; Rancho Cordova, Calif.; Ada, Okla.; Sherman, Texas; Nacogdoches, Texas; and Jefferson, La. He lives with a very sweet beagle named, Ruthie.
Lowry is currently the executive secretary of Gamma Theta Upsilon, International Geographic Honor Society and a member of the Board of Directors of the Association of College Honor Societies. He was the former associate professor and chair of Department of Cartography and Geography at East Central University in Ada, Okla., assistant professor of geography and associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, and associate professor and chair of the Department of Geography at the University of New Orleans.
- Doctorate – geography, with minor in environment and behavior – University of Arizona
- Master’s – geography – East Carolina University
- Bachelor’s – business, with minor in religion – Belmont Abbey College, N.C.
- Perception of the natural environment
- Hazards and disasters
- Cultural ecology, consumerism, sustainability
- 1999-2000, Teaching Excellence Award, East Central University
- 2012, Distinguished Service Award, Gamma Theta Upsilon International Geographic Honor Society