Dr. Joseph Sloop
Assistant Dean and Professor of Chemistry
- Office A-1482
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 678.485.5021
- Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
As an educator, Dr. Joseph Sloop is committed to classroom and laboratory instruction and strongly believes that effective teaching requires an underlying philosophy of both how and what one learns. These components of learning are constructed in the mind of the student, he believes; knowledge cannot be transferred directly from the teacher to the learner, so the teacher must call on the totality of his or her own experience to inspire and facilitate learning in each student.
Sloop's teaching experience includes Physical Science, Survey of Chemistry II, General Chemistry, Introductory Organic Chemistry I/II, Organic Chemistry for Environmental Engineers, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Environmental Toxicology and Chemical and Biological Warfare Agents. His research interests include the synthesis of fluorinated heterocycles and biologically important triketones via fluorine-containing synthons and direct fluorination techniques. He is also interested in LFER and QSAR studies of organic reaction systems, as well as kinetics and thermodynamic studies of aldol condensations.
Sloop’s chemistry text, Succeeding in Organic Chemistry: A Systematic Problem-Solving Approach to Mastering Structure, Function and Mechanism (AuthorHouse Publishing) was published in 2010 and has been well-received. He is also a co-author of several recent scientific and educational articles, including “Advances in the Preparation of Fluorinated Isoquinolines: A Decade of Progress” (2017) and “Benefits of Using a Problem-Solving Scaffold for Teaching and Learning Synthesis in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry I” (2016).
- Doctorate – chemistry – North Carolina State University
- Master's – organic chemistry – North Carolina State University
- Bachelor's – chemistry – Davidson College
- Learning strategies for undergraduate research students
- Improving study techniques for students in organic chemistry
- Forlemu, N., Watkins, P., Sloop, J. “Molecular Docking of Selective Binding Affinity of Sulfonamide Derivatives as Potential Antimalarial Agents Targeting the Glycolytic Enzymes: GAPDH, Aldolase and TPI,” Open Journal of Biophysics, 2017, 7 (1), 41-57.
- Sloop, J. “Advances in the Preparation of Fluorinated Isoquinolines: A Decade of Progress,” Journal of Chemistry, 2017, 2017(4), 15 pages.
- Sloop, J., Tsoi, M., Coppock, P. “Benefits of Using a Problem-Solving Scaffold for Teaching and Learning Synthesis in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry I,” International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2016, (10)1, Article 8.
- Barakat, A., Al-Majid, A., Soliman, S., Lotfy, G., Ghabbour, H., Fun, H., Wadood, A., Warad, I., Sloop, J. “New Diethyl Ammonium Salt of Thiobarbituric Acid Derivative: Synthesis, Molecular Structure Investigations and Docking Studies,” Molecules, 2015, 20(11), 20642-20658.
- Sloop, J., Holder, C. Henary, M. “Selective Incorporation of Fluorine in Pyrazoles,” 2015, Eur. J. Org.Chem., 2015, 16, 3405-3422.
- Sloop, J., Churley, M.*, Guzman, A.*, Moseley, S.*, Stalker, S.*, Weyand, J., Yi, J.*. “Synthesis and Reactivity of Fluorinated Cyclic Ketones: Initial Findings,” American Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2014, 1(1), 1-10.
- Sloop, J., Anagho, L., Coppock, P., Giles, G., Park, S., Pennington, R., Pursell, D., Rudd, G., Tsoi, M. Y. “Conformational Analysis, Modeling, Stereochemistry and Optical Activity of Cyclohexane Derivatives,” Journal of Laboratory Chemistry Education, 2013, 1(3), 39-44.
- Sloop, J., Boyle, P., Fountain, A.W., Gomez, C.*, Jackson, J., Pearman, W., Schmidt, R., Weyand, J.* “Novel Fluorinated Indanone, Tetralone and Naphthone Derivatives: Synthesis and Unique Structural Features,” Appl. Sci. Special Edition: Organo-Fluorine Chemical Science, 2012, 2, 61-99.
- Sloop, J., Shultz, D., Coote, T., Shepler, B., Sullivan, U., Kampf, J., Boyle, P. “Synthesis of and Structure-Property Relationships in Zinc Complexes of Bis-Metaphenylene Semiquinone Biradical Species,” J. Phys. Org. Chem., 2012, 25(4), 314-321.
- Sloop, J., Shultz, D., Beikmohammadi, M., Shepler, B. “Linear Free Energy Relationships in Semiquinone Species and Their Mn(II) and Cu(II) Complexes,” J. Phys. Org. Chem., 2012, 25(2), 101-109.
- Sloop, J., Boyle, P., Fountain, A., Pearman, W., Swann, J.*. “Electron deficient aryl b-diketones: synthesis and novel tautomeric preferences,” Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 5, 936-941.
- Paredes, J., Pennington, R., Pursell, D., Sloop, J., Tsoi, M. “Engaging Science Students with Handheld Technology and Applications by Revisiting the Thayer Method of Teaching and Learning,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 2011, 9(7), 46-50.
- Pennington, R., Pursell, D., Sloop, J. “Engaging Science Students with Wireless Technology and Applications by Revisiting the Thayer Method of Teaching and Learning,” Proceedings of the International Multi-Conference on Complexity, Informatics and Cybernetics, 2010, 303-308.
- Sloop, J., Jackson, J., Schmidt, R. “Microwave-Mediated Pyrazole Fluorinations Using Selectfluor®,” Heteroatom Chem., 2009, 20(6), 341-345.
- Sloop, J. “Quinoline Formation: Examination of Kinetics and Mechanistic Pathways,” J. Phys. Org. Chem., 2009, 22 (2), 110-117.
- Sloop, J., Pearman, W. “Nanostructures for Sensors,” Technical Report, Edgewood Chemical Biological Command, 2009.
- Armstrong, M., Comitz, R., Biaglow, A., LaChance, R., Sloop, J. “Interdisciplinary Learning for Chemical Engineering Students from Organic Chemistry: Synthesis Lab to Reactor Design to Separation,” J. Chem. Eng. Ed., 2008, 42 (4), 193-200.
- Sloop, J., Lechner, B.*, Washington, G., Bumgardner, C., Loehle, W., Creasy, W. “Pyrazole Formation: Examination of Kinetics and Mechanistic Pathways,” Int. J. Chem. Kinetics, 2008, 40, 370-383.
- Shultz, D., Sloop, J., Coote, T., Beikmohammadi-Marcus, M.*, Kampf, J., Boyle, P. “Substituent Effects on Exchange Coupling: 5-Aryl-Substituted Semiquinones and Their Complexes with MnII and CuII,” Inorg. Chem. 2007, 46, 273-277.
- Shultz, D., Sloop, J., Washington, G. “Design, Synthesis and Properties of Conformationally Fixed Semiquinone Monoradical Species,” J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 9104-9113.
- Sloop, J., Bumgardner, C., Washington, G., Loehle, W., Sankar, S., Lewis, A.*. “Keto-Enol and Enol-Enol Tautomerism in Trifluoromethyl-1,3-Diketones,” J. Fluorine Chem. 2006, 127, 780-786.
- Sloop, J., Bumgardner, C., Loehle, W.D. "Synthesis of Fluorinated Heterocycles,” J. Fluorine Chem. 2002, 118, 135-147.
- Sloop, J. "Microscale Synthesis of the Natural Products Carpanone and Piperine," J. Chem. Ed. 1995, 72 (2), A25-27.
- Bumgardner, C., Sloop, J. "Ring Fluorinated Pyrazoles," J. Fluorine Chem. 1992, 56, p. 141-146.
- Sloop, J. “Synthesis of Fluorinated Pyrazoles and Isoxazoles. The Effect of 2-Fluoro and 2-Chloro Substituents on the Keto-Enol Equilibria of 1,3-Diketones,” DOD Technical Report, Defense Technical Information Center, 1990.
- Carroll, F., Sloop, J.*, Green, D.* "The Norboradiene Dicarboxylic Acid - Quadricyclene Dicarboxylic Acid Energy Storage System," Solar Energy, 1985, 33 (3/4), p. 377-379.
Books/Book chapters authored
- Pursell, D., Sloop, J., Pennington, R., Paredes, J., Tsoi, M., Dekhane, S. “Enabling 21st Century Student Success in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry,” in Advances in Teaching Organic Chemistry, ACS Books, Washington, DC, 2012.
- Sloop, J. Succeeding in Organic Chemistry: A Systematic Problem-Solving Approach to Mastering Structure, Function and Mechanism, AuthorHouse Publishing Co., Bloomington, IN, 2010.
- Gilbert, J., Martin, S., Tsoi, M., Pennington, R., Pursell, D., Sloop, J. Laboratory Manual for Chem 2211K/2212K Organic Chemistry, edited and compiled by M. Y. Tsoi, Cengage Learning, Ohio, 2010.
- Sloop, J. “Selective Incorporation of Fluorine in Heterocyclic Molecules,” in Fluorine Chemistry Research Advances, edited by Ira V. Gardiner, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, 2007.
Governor's Teaching Fellows Program, 2016
GGC CTE Teaching Fellows Program, 2016
GGC Master Teacher Program, 2013
- GGC Scholarly and Creative Activities Award, 2012
- Co-recipient, Blackboard Catalyst Award, 2012
- Biltmore Who’s Who in North American Education, 2012
- Co-recipient, TAG Excalibur Award, 2011
- Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 2008
- Phi Kappa Phi Scholastic Achievement Award, 2008
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon National Chemistry Honor Society Inductee, 2006
- USMA Junior Faculty Teaching Award, 1993
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society Inductee, 1989
- Phi Lambda Upsilon Chemistry Honor Society Inductee, 1989
- American Chemical Society – Fluorine/Organic Divisions; Georgia Section
- International Society of Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon National Chemistry Honor Fraternity
- Georgia Academy of Science
- Editor-in-Chief, American Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Secretary, Georgia Academy of Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science