Mr. Mark Mayfield
Part-time Faculty, Religion
- Office Phone 678.517.3858
- Cell Phone
- Email Address email@example.com
Mark Mayfield’s passion is teaching. It is a passion that has taken him from teaching religious studies at the University of Georgia, to learning support courses in reading and writing at Gwinnett Technical College. However, his experiences at Georgia Gwinnett College have led him to call this school home.
From literature to religion, he enjoys encouraging students to step outside of themselves and engage unfamiliar ideas and world views. With respect to religion, he finds value in offering students tools to think about their own religious traditions, as well as previously unexplored religions, in new ways. This includes how one understands scripture, knowledge (epistemology) and God (theology). As such, his focus is on the history of religion, the role of scripture in ancient and modern faith practices, and the relationship between religion and current events.
He is a storyteller by nature and uses some of the greatest stories of the 20th century to help explain the religious experience – from The Lord of the Rings to Star Wars.
- Doctorate (in progress) – The University of Georgia
- Master’s – religion – The University of Georgia
- Bachelor’s – English literature – Georgia State University
- Ancient Judaism
- Early Christianity
- Christian literature, including C.S. Lewis; J.R.R Tolkien; G.K. Chesterton; Victor Hugo
- Nominated for Outstanding Part-time Faculty Award 2013