Dr. Marni A. Brown
Assistant Professor of SociologyDownload vCard
Dr. Marni A. Brown's career as a sociologist and teacher focuses on complicating the ideas we all hold about society—including gender, sexuality and race in the United States—and finding ways to communicate these new ideas effectively.
As a researcher, she uses an intersectional lens for the examination of gender, gender identity and sexuality. I work closely with gender and pride alliance student groups.
As a teacher, she encourages students to locate their social position and engage with a sociological imagination while investigating who gets what and why. She spends a great deal of time with students deconstructing oppressive systems of power and the impact on institutional opportunities and everyday interactions.
More details regarding Brown and her work can be found on her website.
- Doctorate – sociology – Georgia State University
- Master's certificate – women's studies – University of Florida
- Master’s – higher education – University of Florida
- Bachelor’s – history – University of Florida
- Misra, Joya, Mahala Dyer Stewart, and Marni Alyson Brown. Gendered lives, sexual beings: a feminist anthology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 2018.