Dr. Sonal Dekhane
Associate Professor of Information TechnologyDownload vCard
Dr. Sonal Dekhane’s teaching philosophy is based on the age-old Chinese proverb: “Give a hungry man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a hungry man to fish, and feed him forever.”
Dekhane believes in guiding and encouraging her students to become life-long independent learners. Her interests lie in the areas of data mining, software engineering, mobile application development and software engineering education research. Her research has been presented at various national and international conferences including International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN), International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering (FECS) and IADIS International Conference on Mobile Learning.
She is currently involved in an inter-disciplinary collaboration project between her software development students and organic chemistry students. This collaboration has led to the creation of an iPhone/iTouch educational app that leverages the touch screen capabilities of these devices to utilize the haptic learning skills of organic chemistry students using the app.
Dekhane is also involved in curriculum development and program assessment initiatives at GGC.
- Doctorate – computer science – Tulane University
- Master's – computer science – Louisiana Tech University
- Bachelor's – electronics engineering – University of Mumbai
- Data mining and educational data mining
- Mobile application development
- Software engineering
- Software engineering education
- GGC Annual Outstanding Faculty – Student Engagement Award, 2015
- Faculty advisor of student teams that won the Best Student Leadership Corp, STARS Alliance, August 2015
- Blackboard Catalyst Award-Mobile Innovations, Blackboard, 2012
- TAG Excalibur Award-Educational, Technology Association of Georgia, 2011
- Governor’s Teaching Fellow, University of Georgia, Summer 2011
- Nominated for Excellence in Service Award, Georgia Gwinnett College, 2009
- Graduate Research Excellence Award, Tulane University, 2007