Dr. Young Shim
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Office C-G301
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone 470.389.1392
- Email Address email@example.com
BiographyDr. Young Shim earned an M.A. in counseling from the University of Illinois and obtained a Ph.D. from the counseling and psychology collaborate program at the University of Akron, Ohio. She was born and raised in Seoul, South Korea, and her passion for advancing academic study led her to move to the USA and to continue to pursue academic and clinical work in psychology field. She specializes in multiculturalism, diversity, women and gender roles, and identity conflict among adolescents. She has a commitment to promote multicultural perspectives and strongly values the diversity and the unique perspectives in her teaching. She also worked as a clinical psychologist at various settings including university counseling centers, community mental health and private practice. She has published articles on cross-cultural and women’s issues in psychology in international journals, and presented topics related to cultural psychology at local and national conferences.
- Doctorate – counseling and psychology – University of Akron
- Master's – counseling – University of Illinois
- Master's – psychology – Ewha Women's University
- Bachelor's – educational psychology – Ewha Women's University
- Diversity and acculturation
- Women and gender roles
- Adolescence and identity conflict
- Depression and suicide
- "Hwa-byung Among Middle-Aged Korean Women: Family Relationships, Gender-role Attitudes, and Self-esteem," Health Care for Women International (2013).
- "The Relationship between Degree of Acculturation and Adjustment Difficulties among Korean Immigrants living in a Western Society," British Journal of Guidance and Counseling (2008).
- "Degree of Acculturation and Adherence to Asian Values as Correlates of Psychological Distress among Korean Immigrants," Journal of Mental Health (2007).
- Master Presenter Award, National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), 2009
- Leadership Award for Orientation to Teaching, Learning and Leadership, 2007
- American Psychological Association
- American Counseling Association
- Asian American Psychology and Counseling Association
- International Counseling Association