Report an emergency.
- A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for tornadoes to develop, but there is not an imminent threat. Be prepared to seek shelter.
- A Tornado Warning means a tornado has been detected and an imminent threat to life and property has developed. Seek shelter immediately.
- Know the location of your building severe weather shelter areas ahead of time. These are marked with signage and are indicated on your Building Emergency Plan Summary on MyGGC (login required).
- Monitor local weather for updates via TV/radio stations, NOAA weather radio, and or weather related websites.
- Be prepared to move to your building severe weather shelter.
- If a tornado warning affects GGC, alert others as you move to the severe weather shelter. DO NOT pull the fire alarm to alert others.
- Severe weather shelters are ideally on the lowest floor, interior hallways/ rooms, and away from windows and exterior doors.
- Be a calm, positive example for others.
- Wait for an ALL CLEAR message before departing the severe weather shelter.
- If outdoors (with no time to seek shelter indoors), shelter in a ditch or other low-lying area.
[ return to list ]