How do I complete the Global Studies Certification Program?
Program completion requirements (9-18 credit hours)
(All certification coursework must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.)
- Two 3000- or 4000-level i-courses (indicated by the letters INTL in Banner)
- Credit for two courses in a language other than English or successful completion of an approved proficiency examination
- Education Abroad, bearing at least three credit hours or a course offered in an international location
- The Global Studies Capstone course, GLOB 4000
Will earning the Global Studies Certification cause me to take longer to graduate?
It depends on your major, your foreign language background and your choice of classes. Talk to your faculty mentor and the certification coordinator.
Can I complete the Global Studies Certification Program and then transfer to another school?
No, only students who graduate from GGC will be considered to have completed the program.
Which GGC courses count towards the Global Studies Certification?
As coursework, you will have to complete at least two (2) i-courses at the 3000- or 4000-level at GGC with a grade of “C” or better and complete the Global Studies Certification Capstone course, GLOB 4000, with at a grade of “C” or better. These courses are only available at GGC.
How can the Education Abroad requirement be met?
By completing a credit-bearing Education Abroad program or a course offered in an international location, and earning a grade of “C” or better and a minimum of 3-credit hours for the experience. The credit hours earned must appear on your GGC transcript.
How can I meet the language requirement?
- Earn college credit for two classes in the same language through coursework (with grades of “C” or better), AP or IB.
- If you’re already multilingual, earn 6 or more hours of credit through CLEP or get a qualifying proficiency rating on an LTI written or oral test.
How can I get more information about Education Abroad and how to pay for it?
Contact the Office of Internationalization to find out how to plan, apply and pay for Education Abroad: email@example.com or 678.407.5300. Global Studies students with at least a 2.5 GPA are eligible to apply for one of the IEF Travel Grants administered by the Office of Internationalization, and other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
When can I take the Global Studies Capstone course?
Students may take the capstone in any semester after completion of all other Global Studies Certification Program requirements.
Who is responsible for the Global Studies Certification Program?
The Global Studies Certification Program is a component of GGC’s Quality Enhancement Plan, Internationalization of the Curriculum: Engaging the World to Develop Global Citizens. Its design and administration are overseen by the QEP director and Dr. Kristina Watkins Mormino, the Global Studies Certification Program coordinator.