Nursing Program Admission Requirements and Procedures
The Nursing Program at GGC, subject to SACSCOC approval, will require eligible students to have all areas of the pre-nursing requirements (A-F) completed prior to the first semester of being accepted and enrolled in the first nursing course.
The following criteria will need to be completed before seeking admission to the GGC baccalaureate Nursing Program:
- Declare a pre-major in Nursing through enrollment registration.
- Complete the following courses: ENGL (1101 and 1102), MATH (1111 or 1113 or 2200), CHEM (1151K and 1152K or 1211K and 1212K), PSYC (1102) and BIOL (2451K and 2452K). Microbiology MUST be completed prior to beginning the Nursing Program.
- Be in good standing at Georgia Gwinnett College or other accredited academic institution with a 2.0 overall GPA.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.5 in required general education courses for nursing and a minimum of a 3.0 overall science GPA (cumulative GPA of all required science courses: CHEM 1151K and CHEM 1152K or CHEM 1211K and CHEM 1212K; BIOL 2451K and BIOL2452K; and BIOL 2516K).
- Students who have received a D in a previous nursing course may apply to the program; however, it will be added into the cumulative overall GPA.
- Course history will be evaluated in determining acceptance into the program (this means that all attempts of all required courses will be used to determine overall GPA).
- Science courses required for the program must be less than 6 years old. Note: GGC has a policy that if a student repeats a course, the higher grade is recorded on the transcript; however, ALL grades will be used in determining overall general education GPA and science GPA for admission to the Nursing Program. Withdraws from courses noted on transcripts are not used in GPA calculations.
- Complete the TEAS V Test (only the first two attempts will be reviewed). Note: The TEAS V Test must be taken within one (1) year of submitting an application with a minimum score of 63 overall adjusted individual score. The reading and mathematics portion of the exam is required.
- Obtain two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty of accredited institutions, in two different disciplines, addressing your professional behavior, academic ethics and evidence to support why you would be a good nurse.
- Obtain one (1) letter of recommendation from a personal or professional reference, addressing your professional behavior and evidence to support why you would be a good nurse.
- Provide documentation of community service for the past three to five (3–5) years.
Our Nursing Program, subject to SACSCOC approval, is anticipating an initial enrollment of students no earlier than fall 2014. Nursing programs, in general, are extremely competitive; therefore, we encourage you to apply to additional baccalaureate nursing programs.
University System of Georgia Nursing Schools geographically located near Atlanta-metro area:
Private Institutions in the Atlanta-metro area: