Many students find that they become more confident in their studies after visiting the Academic Enhancement Center (AEC). Available services include tutoring in many disciplines, and academic and skill-building workshops.
Access to Trained Tutors
Our trained professional and peer tutors provide 30-minute one-on-one tutoring sessions. Group tutoring sessions are also available to students who have similar questions on course content.
- Writing tutors will work with you at any stage of the writing process. They can provide feedback on a draft, answer your questions, and show you strategies for brainstorming, organizing, drafting and revising. Make sure to bring your assignment sheet and rubric to your tutoring session.
- Mathematics/science/ITEC/business tutors will help you gain a better understanding of course concepts. Come to the tutoring session with your notes, textbook and/or handouts. Be prepared to answer and ask questions.
Resources for Success
- Computers loaded with assessment tools
- Helpful handouts, course-related software, and citation manuals
- Reference books and textbooks
- Citation manuals used in academic research, such as the APA (American Psychological Association), Chicago or MLA (Modern Language Association) styles
- Award-winning TIC-TAC-TOE Program
- Tutors In the Classroom: Tutors are placed in classrooms at the request of professors to provide additional support and tutoring in class.
- Tutors Around Campus: Tutors are placed in high-traffic areas around campus, such as B-atrium and the library, to meet students where they are.
- Tutors Online Everyday: Online tutoring supported through Smarthinking. Log in to MyCourses (Brightspace by D2L), and click “eTutoring” located top right of the page to access online tutoring in a variety of subjects.
Resources for Faculty
- Faculty can request an AEC meet-and-greet in which tutors introduce students to the benefits of visiting the AEC.
- Tutors are able to facilitate in-class writing workshops at the faculty member's request. A menu of in-class writing workshops is available by contacting the AEC Writing Coordinator.
What to Expect When Receiving Tutoring
- A maximum of two tutoring sessions per day with a 3-hour gap in between.
- 30-minute one-on-one tutoring or group tutoring, as needed.
- Please come prepared with necessary materials including but not limited to your assignment, notes, textbook, rubric and questions.
- Tutors cannot assist students with any take-home exams and take-home essay exams.
- Students requesting tutoring for ITEC-1001 must have attempted the assignment at least once before receiving tutoring.
How to Receive Tutoring in the AEC
To schedule an appointment with one of our tutors, you can do one of the following:
- Visit the AEC in Building C, Room G360.
- Call 678.407.5191.
- Email email@example.com.
Appointments need to be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
Drop-ins are also welcomed. We accept our last tutoring appointment 30 minutes before closing.
Online tutoring, Smarthinking, is also available. Log in to MyCourses (Brightspace by D2L), and click “eTutoring” located top right of the page.
- Tutoring is available for currently enrolled GGC students only.
- To facilitate the learning process, a 3-hour gap between 30-minute tutoring sessions is required.
- Students are allowed to have back-to-back tutoring sessions for two different subjects (example: math tutoring then English tutoring).
- Drop-in students work with tutors on a first-come, first-served basis.
The AEC is open throughout the academic year, including summer semesters.
Summer 2017 Hours
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday||9 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Wednesday||9 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Friday||9 a.m. – 2 p.m.|
|Sunday||1 – 5 p.m.|
Exceptions to Hours
Sunday, July 2 - Tuesday, July 4: Closed