Applicants who have attended other colleges and have earned more than 30 semester hours are classified as transfer students.
Students admitted from other colleges are required to meet all general requirements regarding examinations and application deadlines. Students planning to transfer from other colleges must request that the Registrar’s Office at each college previously attended forward an official transcript to the Admissions Office at Georgia Gwinnett College. Official transcripts are required whether or not the applicant receives transfer credit. Documents must be mailed directly from the other college to the Georgia Gwinnett College Admissions Office.
Admission Requirements for Transfer Students
Transfer applicants must present a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or above (based on a 4.00 scale) on all work attempted and must be in good academic standing at the last institution attended in order to be admitted to Georgia Gwinnett College in good academic standing. Transfer students with a GPA of 1.99 or below will be denied with the option to appeal their decision.
Transfer of Credit
Evaluations of transfer credit are available for student viewing on their account on Banner Web upon completion of the admissions process and attendance at a Georgia Gwinnett College Bear Essentials session. Georgia Gwinnett College stands behind and assumes responsibility for all credits recorded on official student transcripts.
- Credit earned in regionally accredited colleges may be transferred at full value to Georgia Gwinnett College provided the course content is comparable to that of a course offered by Georgia Gwinnett College or, for non-comparable courses, those that satisfy the guidelines of the University System of Georgia.
- Transfer students are required to earn a grade of “C” or better in all Area A requirements (ENGL 1101 and 1102, Math 1001, MATH 1111, or equivalents) in order for those courses to transfer to Georgia Gwinnett College. In addition, a grade of “C” or better is required in all courses used in Area F and in the major.
- Other courses earned at regionally accredited institutions may be permitted to transfer with grades of “D,” to the extent that the grades on all credits accepted for transfer average to at least 2.50.
- The transfer grade-point-average (GPA) will not be included in the student’s institutional GPA at Georgia Gwinnett College but will be included in the total GPA used to determine academic honors and used by certain financial aid sources (i.e., HOPE scholarship).
- The total number of combined hours through military experiences shall not exceed 15 semester hours. In order to determine military credit, the student must submit discharge paperwork (DD-214) or a military course transcript (AARTS, SMART, CCAF, etc.).
- Transfer credit from colleges and universities outside the United States must be evaluated by an approved evaluation service such as Josef Silny & Associates; World Education Services; or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. The student must submit transcripts to an evaluation service and request that an appropriate evaluation be submitted to the Georgia Gwinnett College Admissions Office.
- Transfer students must complete requirements in United States History and Constitution as well as Georgia History and Constitution prior to graduation. Completion of American History and American Government at a previous University System of Georgia institution will transfer to Georgia Gwinnett College. Completion of American History and American Government at a non-University System of Georgia institution (including out-of-state institutions) will satisfy the U.S. History and Constitution requirement upon transfer, but not the Georgia History and Constitution requirement. A proficiency examination in these legislative requirements is available for the student to complete prior to graduation. See the Testing Center for additional information.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements for Students Under the Transfer Admission Guarantee Policy with Georgia State University
Georgia Gwinnett College has entered into an agreement with Perimeter College (PC) of Georgia State University to admit students who have completed an Associate’s degree from Perimeter College of Georgia State University. The goals of this agreement are:
- To minimize barriers to transfer and assist prospective transfer students at Perimeter College of Georgia State University to progress toward their baccalaureate degree;
- To enable Perimeter College of Georgia State University students to follow a course of study that allows them to begin upper division course work immediately upon transfer;
- To assure Perimeter College of Georgia State University students that if they follow the terms of their approved transfer agreement, they are admitted to Georgia Gwinnett College in the term agreed upon;
- To facilitate cooperation between the counseling offices and the transfer centers at Georgia Gwinnett College and Perimeter College of Georgia State University.
The agreement will guarantee general admission to Georgia Gwinnett College to Perimeter College of Georgia State University students who fulfill the criteria listed below; it does not necessarily assure admission to a specific major. Georgia Gwinnett College and Perimeter College of Georgia State University will form an oversight committee charged with evaluation and review of this agreement.
This committee will meet on a biannual basis during March to review the agreement and reconfirm it for the next academic period. Either institution may terminate this agreement for any reason by providing written notice before August 1 of the academic year in which the transfer agreement shall terminate.
Conditions of the Agreement
To qualify for the Transfer Admission Guarantee, a student must:
- Complete the Intent to Transfer Form signed by both the student and a Perimeter College of Georgia State University Transfer Admission Guarantee counselor.
- Submit a Georgia Gwinnett College Undergraduate Application for Admission during the application filing period for the semester for which the student wishes to transfer.
- Complete, with a grade of C or better, the English composition and mathematics courses required for admission at least two semesters preceding the term the student plans to transfer to Georgia Gwinnett College.
- Earn an Associate’s degree at Perimeter College of Georgia State University by the end of the semester preceding transfer.
- Complete the last 30 of their 60 or more Georgia Gwinnett College transferable units at Perimeter College of Georgia State University.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.3 in all Georgia Gwinnett College transferable course work by the end of the current semester and maintain a 2.3 GPA or higher in all courses taken prior to transfer.
- Meet conditions of Georgia Gwinnett College Code of Student Conduct.
Terms of the Agreement
- Apply for admission to GGC during the application filing period for the semester for which the student wishes to transfer.
- Complete the required courses in English composition (English 1101 and English 1102) and one mathematics course (Math 1001 or Math 1111 or Math 1113 (Precalculus) or Math 2431 (Calculus I)) NB: Math-based majors and future Science and Technology majors are required to take Math 2431.
- Earn an Associate’s degree by the end of the semester preceding transfer.
- Complete the last 30 of r 60 or more GGC transferable units at PC of Georgia State University; and
- Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.3 in all GGC transferable course work by the end of the current semester and maintain a 2.3 GPA or higher in all courses taken prior to transfer.
- Meet conditions of Georgia Gwinnett College Code of Student Conduct.
- You must earn a grade of C or better in each course of the core at PC of Georgia State University.
Required Course Pattern
Completion of the core curriculum at Perimeter College of Georgia State University is required. Once the student has successfully completed the core curriculum at PC of Georgia State University and has met all of the terms of the agreement outlined above, the credits earned successfully at PC of Georgia State University will be accepted as credits in the core at GGC.
Attendance at a Bear Essentials (BE) registration session or an orientation session the semester you sign this Intent to
Transfer form is required. Call GGC to make an appointment. The student will be assigned a GGC mentor.
Learn more about transferring credit.