The Nelnet payment plan provides the opportunity to stretch payments over a period of months using a debit card, credit card or an electronic transfer of funds from a checking or savings account.
Nelnet is not a loan program, and no interest charges will accrue. There is no credit check, and no student is required to use this service.
While GGC is informing students of this service, Nelnet is an independent business which is solely responsible for providing and managing this service. Any terms and/or conditions of this program are solely the responsibility of Nelnet. Any questions or concerns a student may have while using Nelnet need to be addressed directly with Nelnet.
Nelnet Details and Deadlines
Once registration is completed each semester, students can enroll in the Nelnet payment plan by logging onto Banner, going to the Student Account Center and clicking on the Nelnet Payment Plan link. The plan is set up using the total balance in Banner due for the current semester. During the enrollment process, students will receive instructions on how to review their accounts at any time.
- View Nelnet deadlines and enrollment information and important information about the program.
- Enroll in Nelnet through Banner and Student Account Center (login required).
- After enrollment, access My Payment Plan (login required).
- Learn more about estimating costs with tuition and financial aid calculators.
- Once a student signs up for the Nelnet plan, s/he will be charged a non-refundable $50 – $70 enrollment fee by NBS, depending on the payment plan option selected. That fee will be assessed each semester in which the student uses the Nelnet plan for GGC bill payment.
- Nelnet enrollment is for a current semester only, and students must re-enroll each semester. Re-enrollment is not automatic.
- A $30 "returned payment" fee will be assessed for any payment that is rejected by your financial institution.
- A down payment will be processed immediately after a student signs up for Nelnet. Thereafter, students are automatically debited on the fifth day of each month. The account debited by Nelnet will be the same account the student used to make the first payment.
- The budgeted amount is added as a memo (anticipated credit) in Banner after Nelnet has successfully debited funds from the bank or credit card. This may take a few days therefore, plan to sign up well in advance of the payment deadline.
- Students who choose to use a debit or credit card will have a 2.75 percent fee assessed each time a payment is made through Nelnet.
- At the sign up point, if the enrollment fee, down payment, and convenience fee (for students not paying by automatic bank payment) is returned, the agreement will be terminated and the student can set up a new one if the enrollment period is still open. Nelnet Business Solutions reserves the right to terminate agreements if funding is unavailable.
- The maximum amount that a student may budget on the Nelnet plan is $5,500. Students who have a balance that exceeds that amount will be required to pay the difference in the first installment (down payment).
- Once a student enrolls, GGC adjusts budgets based on allowable maximum limits and adjustment deadlines. Adjustments are done on business days only and updated by noon as long as adjustment deadlines have not passed. Any increases that cannot be added to the budget are due by established payment deadlines.
- The minimum enrollment balance is $100.
- Once a student is enrolled in Nelnet, s/he will have access to My Payment Plan (login required), a website that enables the student to review current account balances, payment amounts and other account information.
- Once a student enrolls in the Nelnet plan, s/he accepts and agrees to be bound by the NBS agreement's terms and conditions until the total amount owed is paid in full to Nelnet. Additionally, enrollment means the student authorizes NBS to process payments and fees from the account provided or any subsequent account provided. This authorization will terminate when the total balance due has been paid.
- Students who sign up with Nelnet are advised not to pay the monthly contracted amount to GGC directly as this will debited from their designated account by Nelnet. Amounts exceeding plan budgets/balances not included in the plan are to be paid to GGC.
- For more information about Nelnet, contact NBS directly at 800.609.8056.