Each year, the Office of Student Accounts prepares the 1098-T form, in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for each student who is enrolled for any semester or has a reportable transaction during the calendar year.
For more information about the deduction or credit, see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education (PDF), form 8863, Education Credits and the form 1040 or 1040A instructions. Keep in mind, we publish the document on the website for all eligible students but we are not in a position to provide any tax advice. We advise that you speak to your accountant or tax attorney/professional, if needed. Institutions may report either payments received in box 1 or amounts billed in box 2. Georgia Gwinnett College reports amount billed (box 2).
The 1098-T form is available online through the student's Banner account by Jan. 31, annually.
Students are strongly encouraged to sign up for electronic access from ECSI for quicker delivery. If you choose to receive a paper copy of your 1098-T form, simply do nothing.
The benefits of receiving electronic notification are:
- Online delivery provides earlier access to the 1098-T form than traditional mailing.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
- Students can receive their 1098-T form even while traveling or on assignment away from their home address.
To access, view and/or print your 1098-T form, login to ECSI and enter the following information:
- School code: Please check the communication you received from ECSI to verify the school code you should use. Generally, the school code contains two alphanumeric characters.
- Account: Do not use any punctuation in the account number. Generally, this is your Social Security Number. Please check the communication you received from ECSI to verify the account number you should use.
- Password: Initially, ESCI assigns each account a PIN/password. This PIN/password will be your password until you log into your account and change it.
If you need to retrieve your school code and ECSI PIN number:
- Visit ECSI.
- Select the "Click here to retrieve your login credentials" link on the page.
- Enter the required information to authenticate your identity and click the "Submit" button.
- You will be provided your school codes and ECSI PIN number.
- Click on the "Login" page.
- Enter the required information.
- Click "Login."
- Under the "My Account" section:
- Click on "Tax Information."
- Select the statement you want to view.
- Select "View."
Contact ECSI if you have any general questions or information regarding your tax documents. Contact the Office of Student Accounts with any questions you have regarding the information on your 1098-T form.
If there is a need to update/revise your information, please be sure to contact the College by mid-March at the latest. Requests received after this period may not be accommodated.
If you experience trouble with your website login, contact ECSI at 866.428.1098. Neither your school nor ECSI can answer tax questions, you are advised to contact your tax professional.
Tax documents for prior years are located in Banner under "Student Accounts," "Tax Notification" section.
It is important to understand the information contained on the 1098-T form. Take a moment to review pages of the 1098-T form (PDF).