GGC sponsors a one-day, hands-on workshop for middle and high school girls to learn more about technology and science.
In our curriculum, girls interact with new technologies and develop interactive games. They conduct laboratory experiments under the direction of GGC science faculty.
All are welcome, and no prior knowledge is required.
Our supportive community, comprised of GGC students and volunteers, promotes active, engaged learning. We also provide girls with an exciting opportunity to interact with positive, professional role models.
Why Focus on Girls?
Super Saturday Series (S3) addresses the gender gap currently present within the technology field. The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) reports:
- High school girls comprise more than half of all advanced placement (AP), but few take the Computer Science AP test.
- Women earn more than half of all undergraduate degrees, but few major in Computer and Information Science.
- Computing jobs are among the fastest growing and highest paying, but women will not enjoy these economic benefits if their education lacks a strong computing foundation.
- Girls and women are well-represented as users of technology. The computing industry will benefit if women have a hand in its creation as well.
Spring 2018 Session Information
- Registration begins Feb. 1, 2018
- Technical demonstrations
- Science experiments
- Separate sessions for middle and high school
For more information, please contact co-directors Dr. Nannette Napier or Lorraine Jonassen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[ Back to top ]
The S3 Handbook provides more detailed information for participants and parents, including directions and required forms. This will be emailed to all accepted participants.
An overview of the S3 session follows:
|8:30 a.m.||Check-in and onsite registration|
Lunch and guest speaker
|1 p.m.||Technical demonstrations|
|1:45 p.m.||Session 3 and wrap-up|
|3 p.m.||Parent pick-up|
Since S3’s beginning in October 2011, we have served over 100 girls each year–many of whom were returning participants. It is our hope at S3 to encourage, inspire, and teach every one of our attendees to continue their interests in science and technology both in and out of the classroom.
[ Back to top ]