Dr. Charlie Michael
Assistant Professor of Film
- Office W-1102
- Office Phone
- Cell Phone
- Email Address Send Email
Dr. Charlie Michael joined the Cinema and Media Arts Production (CMAP) faculty in Fall of 2020. Before arriving at Georgia Gwinnett College, he taught at the University of Georgia, Georgia State University, Emory University and the University of Miami. He is thrilled to share his passion for all things film and media with students and colleagues alike.
Michael’s research focuses on media industries with particular interests in popular culture, transnationalism, and French and Francophone cinema. He is the author of French Blockbusters: Cultural Politics of a Transnational Cinema (Edinburgh UP, 2019), the co-editor of the Directory of World Cinema: France (Intellect, 2013) and his work has also appeared in journals such as SubStance, The Velvet Light Trap and Quebec Studies. Currently, he is working on two new projects: a monograph on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and a two-volume, co-edited collection on forgotten and overlooked French directors called The Other French New Wave.
- Doctorate – communication arts (film) – University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Master's – communication arts (film) – University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Master's – comparative literature – University of Iowa
- Bachelor's – English – Carleton College
- "Embodying the Tamil Diaspora: Audiard, Shobasakthi and the Transnational Languages of Dheepan" (co-authored with Subha Xavier), Transnational Screens 12 (2021): 1-18.
- "EuropaCorp and the Landscape of Contemporary French Action Cinema," Cahiers de Champs Visuels 18/19 (2020): 201-226.
- French Blockbusters: Cultural Politics of a Transnational Cinema (Edinburgh UP, 2019).
- Member, Society of Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS)
- Advisory board member, Film Matters Magazine