Dr. Karla A. Caillouet, CHES, CIC
Assistant Professor of Exercise Science (Wellness)Download vCard
Dr. Karla A. Caillouet holds a Master’s of Science degree in community health education, specializing in health promotion and worksite wellness, and a Doctorate of Education in curriculum and instruction, specializing in health and physical education. She is a Certified Health Education Specialist and a Certified Intrinsic Coach.
Caillouet is currently an assistant professor of exercise science at Georgia Gwinnett College in the School of Science and Technology. Along with her teaching duties and research, Caillouet serves as the Health Promotion Curriculum Committee chair and the Health Promotion Internship coordinator. She also serves on multiple committees, including the college-wide Internship Committee and others.
Caillouet’s research practices have focused on planning, implementing and evaluating evidence-based interventions to improve health within a variety of settings including college campuses, worksite wellness programs, assisted-living facilities and disability centers. She has presented research internationally and she has performed a variety of research projects using secondary data in epidemiological studies.
Caillouet’s research agenda includes an examination of sedentary behavior and physical activity in the workplace. Other research interests include examination of depression, anxiety, and stress among NAIA college athletes, non-athletes and non-traditional college students; health empowerment and related subscales and how they may translate to interventions which may positively impact perceptions of health; development of a regression equation to determine weight-lifting loads for an initial strength training program for senior adults; and epidemiological studies focusing on a variety of health education topics including, but not limited to infant mortality, linguistic isolation and physical activity, and suicide.
Her other interests include scuba diving, kayak fishing, beekeeping, paddle boarding and reading.
- Doctorate – curriculum and instructions: physical education and health – University of West Florida
- Master's – community health: health promotion and worksite wellness – University of West Florida
- Bachelor's – speech communications – Lamar University
Georgia Gwinnett College, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- 2017 – 2018 Nominated for Outstanding Faculty Full-Time Teaching Award
- 2016 – 2017 Nominated for Outstanding Faculty Full-Time Teaching Award
University West Florida, Pensacola, Florida
- 2009 – 2015 Awarded Competitive Graduate Assistantships
- 2011 Outstanding Graduate Student in Community Health Education
- Annual award given to one student chosen by department faculty and staff
- 2014 Scholarly and Creative Works Award, Pensacola, Florida
- 2012 – 2018 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Pensacola, Florida
- 2013 National Association of African American Studies National Conference, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Certificate of Recognition for scholarship and superb presentation
Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- 1992 Outstanding Undergraduate Student in Department of Communications
- 2019 International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- 2017 – 2018 American Public Health Association
- Abstract Reviewer: 2018 Annual Meeting
- 2014 – Present Florida Elks, Pensacola, Florida
- 2013 – 2018 American College of Sports Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 2012 – Present Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Pensacola, Florida
- 2011 – Present Gerontological Society of America, Washington, DC
- Abstract Reviewer: 2012 Annual Meeting
- Abstract Reviewer: 2013 Annual Meeting
- Abstract Reviewer: 2015 Annual Meeting
- 2011 – Present National Commission for Health Education
- 2011 – Present Society of Public Health Education, Washington, DC
- Abstract Reviewer: 2013 Annual Meeting
- 2012 Phi Delta Kappa, Professional Association in Education, Pensacola, Florida
- 2012 – 2013 Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance and Sport