Dr. Rick Price
Assistant Professor of Information Technology
Dr. Price joined the faculty at Georgia Gwinnett College in 2010. At GGC, he teaches courses in programming and software engineering. He developed the capstone course for the software development concentration and continues to be heavily involved in the evolution of this course. He is also involved in the recently approved data science and analytics concentration at GGC. In 2019, he received his doctorate from the University of Georgia. His dissertation focused on data science education. He received his master's degree from George Mason University in 1995. Price received an undergraduate degree in business administration from Millsaps College.
After graduating from George Mason, he worked in multiple positions in the software development industry ranging from systems analyst to director of development. Currently he does contract work with a variety of software firms including Finsync, Inc. and World Won't Wait, Inc.
While attending George Mason University, Price completed his career as a naval officer. During this career, he flew the A-6 aircraft and managed the production of many systems for the U.S. Navy, including flight simulators for the A-6 and EA-6B aircraft. Price also wrote the first version of the Ships Training Improvement Program (STIP), a computer-based testing program that is in use on all U.S. Navy ships.
- Doctorate – computer science – University of Georgia
- Master's – computer science – George Mason University
- Bachelor's – business administration – Millsaps College
- Data science
- Software engineering
- Edge computing
- Richard Price, Lakshmish Ramaswamy (2019). "Challenges and Approaches to Teaching Data Science Technologies in an Information Technology Program with Non-traditional Students." 2019 IEEE 5th International Conference on Collaboration and Internet Computing.
- Richard Price (2019). “A Foundation for Data Science Education for Information Technology Students.” Ph.D. Dissertation under the supervision of Dr. Lakshmish Ramaswamy, Computer Science Faculty, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, U.S.A.
- Richard Price, Lakshmish Ramaswamy, S. Pouriyeh. “Efficient Processing of Range Queries over Distributed Relational Databases.” 2018 IEEE 19th International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration for Data Science.
- Sonal Dekhane and Richard Price (2014). “Course-Embedded Research in Software Development Courses.” 2014 ACM 45th Proceedings of the ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE)