Dr. Sonal Dekhane
Professor of Information Technology, Chair of FacultyDownload vCard
Dr. Sonal Dekhane is currently the chair of faculty and professor of information technology at Georgia Gwinnett College. She is one of the ten charter IT faculty who joined the GGC family in Fall of 2007.
During her time at GGC, Dekhane has been involved in various campus initiatives ranging from curriculum development to program assessment to student recruitment. Her commitment to student engagement led to creating new programs on campus (Tech Talk, WIT@GGC and WIT@GGC Java Boot Camp) to recruit and retain women in computing. She is also an integral part of other student engagement initiatives, such as the Technology Ambassadors Program (TAP) and Peer Supplemental Instruction (PSI).
Dekhane mainly teaches courses in the software development track including programming and databases.
Dekhane has consistently secured grant funding to innovate in the area of STEM education, to provide no-cost/low-cost textbooks to students and to support her efforts to broaden participation in computing.
She has published book chapters and journal articles, and presented at numerous national and international conferences.
Connect with Dr. Sonal Dekhane on LinkedIn.
- Doctorate – computer science – Tulane University
- Master's – computer science – Louisiana Tech University
- Bachelor's – electronics engineering – University of Mumbai
- STEM Education
- Broadening participation in computing
- Women in Technology (WIT) Woman of the Year – STEAM Education, 2020
- 2020 Outstanding Women in Leadership, recognition by Lt. Governor, Geoff Duncan, 2020
- University System of Georgia Executive Leadership Institute Scholar, 2019-2020
- GGC Top Claw Award, 2017
- GGC Annual Outstanding Faculty, Student Engagement Award, 2015
- Faculty advisor, Best Student Leadership Corp, STARS Alliance, August 2015
- Blackboard Catalyst Award-Mobile Innovations, Blackboard, 2012
- TAG Excalibur Award-Educational, Technology Association of Georgia, 2011
- Governor’s Teaching Fellow, University of Georgia, Summer 2011
- Graduate Research Excellence Award, Tulane University, 2007
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education
- National Center for Women and Information Technology
- Women in Technology
- STARS Alliance