Mr. Tomas Jimenez
Senior Associate Vice President, Student AffairsDownload vCard
Mr. Tomas Jimenez was named senior associate vice president for Student Affairs at Georgia Gwinnett College in June 2017.
Jimenez began his GGC career, as the first dean of students in 2008, where he assisted with creating and growing the Office of Student Affairs. Since 2008, in addition to his dean of students duties, he has served as interim/acting senior associate provost for Student Affairs (2016–2017) and interim senior associate vice president for Student Affairs (2011–2012).
He is responsible for general oversight of the following Student Affairs services and programs:
• Career Development and Advising Center
• Club and Intramural Sports
• Counseling and Psychological Services
• Disability Services
• Grizzlies Helping Grizzlies
• Outdoor Adventures
• Residence Life
• Student Behavior Concerns Team
• Student Center
• Student Integrity
• Student Involvement
• Wellness and Recreation Center
• Wellness Programming
Jimenez was instrumental in establishing intercollegiate athletics at GGC as he was appointed chair of the Intercollegiate Athletics Task Force by, then president, Dr. Daniel Kaufman. The task force was charged with developing the intercollegiate athletics plan and recommending appropriate actions to implement that plan.
Jimenez hails from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and has more than 25 years of administrative experience in higher education. Prior to arriving at GGC, Jimenez held positions of associate director of Athletics/executive director of the Academic Center for Student-Athletes at Louisiana State University, associate athletic director for Academic Affairs at the University of Virginia, assistant athletic director for Academic Services at the University of Miami, assistant athletic director for Academic Services at Northern Arizona University and academic advisor for student-athletes at the University of Central Florida.
In 2007 and 2008, he was appointed and served as a member of the NCAA Division I Football Academic Enhancement Working Group and the NCAA Division I Initial Eligibility Waiver Committee. From 2004 to 2008, he served a member of NCAA Peer Certification Team and was on the peer review team for the University of Nebraska.
Jimenez is blessed with an amazing wife, Kelly, and three amazing children, Payton, Gavin and Caden.
- Master’s – sports administration – St. Thomas University
- Bachelor’s – communications – University of New Mexico
- Student affairs
- Student development/engagement
- Academic achievement
- Intercollegiate athletics
- First-year experience
- Exemplary Mentorship for Students by the Society for Study in Sport at the University of Miami – 2003
- Honorary Golden Key International Honour Society Member – 2011
- NASPA – Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- ACPA – College Students Educators International