Dr. Valerie Williamson
Part-Time Faculty, Criminal Justice / CriminologyDownload vCard
Dr. Valerie Williamson has over 28 years of experience working in the field of criminal justice. She received her doctoral degree in public policy and administration with a criminal justice specialization from Walden University. Her master's degree is in the same area of study from Columbus State University (Command College); bachelor's in criminal justice from Georgia State University; and associates in arts degree from Sacramento City College, California. Williamson is also a certified alcohol and drug addiction counselor (CADC-II), certified clinical supervisor (CCS) and internationally certified alcohol and drug counselor (ICADC).
She believes that the best learning process is when it is collaborative between the students and the teacher. Her role as the instructor is not only a source of knowledge but also a source of support and an avenue for other resources. She challenges students to reflect on their thoughts and uses her personal experiences to help students make the connection between text and real life. They are challenged by enhancing their awareness of diversity, individual differences and culture. She believes in active learning and tries to maintain an interactive classroom. She also begins each class with a discussion of current events that are related to the subject matter.
- Doctorate – public policy and administration with a criminal justice specialization – Walden University
- Master's – public policy and administration with a criminal justice specialization – Columbus State University
- Bachelor's – criminal justice – Georgia State University
- Associates – business administration – Sacramento City College
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia
- Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, senior instructor