Report an emergency.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape, if possible.
- Evacuate (only if safe) regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be present.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Follow the instructions of any police officer(s).
- If you cannot leave, find a place to hide and secure the door.
- If the door will not lock, barricade it with chairs, desks and other materials.
- Turn off lights, televisions, radios and computer screens.
- Be calm and quiet and account for students and employees.
- Call Public Safety at 678.407.5333 or 911. If you cannot speak, leave the line open to so the dispatcher can listen.
- Ignore any fire alarm bells.
- As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter.
- Act as aggressively as possible against him/her.
- Throw items and improvise on weapons.
- Yell and scream.
- Commit to your actions.
[ return to list ]