Report an emergency.
Suspicious Package or Letter
Characteristics of Suspicious Packages
- Fictitious, unfamiliar or no return address
- Handwritten or poorly typed address
- Address to a title only or an incorrect title
- Mailed from a foreign country
- Excessive postage
- Excessive string or tape on package
- Misspelling of common words
- Restrictive markings such as “Confidential,” “Personal,” etc.
- Excessive weight and/or feel of a powdery or foreign substance
- Discoloration or stains
- A briefcase, gym bag, suitcase, etc. may be deemed suspicious solely because it is discovered unattended in a public place or near a sensitive facility
If you become aware of a suspicious package, take the following actions:
- REMAIN CALM. It is important for all of your actions to be careful and deliberate.
- Protect yourself and others from an exposure to an unknown material. Do not touch, move or attempt to clean up the unknown material.
- Isolate the area and evacuate all personnel from the immediate area.
- Contact Public Safety at 678.407.5333 and your supervisor as soon as possible.
- Do not use radios or cell phones in the immediate area.
- All personnel who may have had contact with the unknown material should wash their hands with soap and warm water, and shower with soap and warm water as soon as possible.
- Do not use bleach or other disinfectants.
- Make a list of names and contact information for all personnel who have come into contact with the unknown material.
- Provide this information to law enforcement and health officials.
- Carefully follow the instructions provided by law enforcement and health officials.
[ return to list ]