Date: March 12, 2020
To: GGC Community
From: Office of the President
Subject: GGC will temporarily suspend instruction for two weeks
Earlier today the decision was made by system leaders after receiving new guidance from Georgia’s Coronavirus Taskforce and Department of Public Health that effective Monday, March 16, 2020, all University System of Georgia institutions will temporarily suspend instruction for two weeks.
Students on campus are asked to depart campus by close of business Friday, March 13, 2020, and to remain away from campus through March 29, 2020. At this time, students are not being asked to move their belongings out of residence life the remainder of the semester. For students who are unable to leave campus, our Office of Student Housing and Residential Education and other offices will work to safely accommodate those students on campus.
GGC will activate our relevant business continuity plans and ensure the operation of online instruction should that become necessary. We know you have additional questions, and we will provide more details as they are available.
Students, faculty, and staff should follow these steps to prevent the transmission of respiratory infections:
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home if you’re sick, especially with a fever.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
The full list of preventive measures and other important information may be found on the GGC Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage.
Office of the President