Date: March 14, 2020
To: GGC Community
From: Dr. Jann L. Joseph, President
Subject: Message from the President
Dear GGC community,
Many changes have occurred in a very short period of time in response to the decision by system leaders to temporarily suspend instruction at all University System of Georgia institutions for two weeks beginning March 16, 2020. This will allow time for institutions to prepare for online learning should it become necessary.
First, I must say how proud I am of how we have rallied around each other during this process in true GGC spirit. Your collaboration and cooperation helped to ensure we had a smooth departure from campus on Friday afternoon.
Over the course of this suspension, the college will remain operational. Essential personnel will be on campus, though teleworking across the college will be encouraged to the extent possible. As a result, buildings will not be open and the use of online and digital communications will be expanded. College sponsored events including athletic competitions have been cancelled and/or postponed through March 30.
We all know that this is a fluid situation and there are many questions. To assist, we have established an FAQ page, which will provide information in a central location. The page will continue to evolve over the course of the suspension period and I encourage you to check back often.
As we shared early on, the health and safety of our community is of the utmost importance. Wherever you find yourself during this time, I encourage you to continue to remain calm and follow these steps to prevent the transmission of respiratory infections:
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home if you’re sick, especially with a fever.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
Access the full list of preventive measures and other important information on the GGC Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage.
Dr. Jann L. Joseph, President
Georgia Gwinnett College
March 14, 2020