As part of the celebration for Earth Day in April, GGC takes part in various activities centered around sustainability. View the events calendar for more information.
RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.
Over a 10-week period, schools around the country report recycling and trash data, which is ranked according to who collects the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita or has the highest recycling rate. Each week, participating schools watch their results fluctuate against other schools and use these results to rally their campus communities to recycle more.
Participation in the competition familiarizes students with the College's environmental programs and, hopefully, instills in them a lifelong habit.
Overall Goals for RecycleMania
- Compete in a fair and friendly recycling challenge.
- Increase recycling participation by students and staff.
- Heighten awareness of the College's waste management and recycling programs.
- Expand economic opportunities while addressing environmental issues in a positive way.
- Lower waste generated on campus by reducing, reusing and recycling.
- Build and expand waste reduction programs on campus via the competition.