Each student, faculty and staff member has a part in the College becoming a more sustainable campus.
By changing just a few actions in your day-to-day routine, you can contribute to a greener, more sustainable campus. Become a Green Grizzly by implementing the conservation tips listed below.
- Use the sleep/hibernate mode on your computer to save energy when not in use.
- Turn off computers, monitors and desktop printers at the end of the day and when not in use (during lunch or class).
- Turn off projectors at the end of class.
- Turn off the lights if you’ll be gone more than five minutes.
- Disable screen savers.
- Unplug “vampire” electronics like cell phone chargers and laptops when not in use. Unplug televisions and stereos when away for break.
- Reduce food waste in the Dining Hall.
- Stop smoking and support a tobacco-free campus.
- Take the stairs instead of elevators.
- Lower the sash on your fume hood when not in use.
- Remove yourself from junk email and catalog lists.
- Switch as many bulbs as possible to compact fluorescent bulbs or LEDs.
- Set the thermostat at 74 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter, and use a programmable thermostat.
- Drive less aggressively and more slowly.
- Keep your engine tuned properly.
- Have your wheels aligned and keep your tires properly inflated.
- Combine trips when running errands.
- Avoid a single-occupancy car at least once a week.
- Walk, carpool or bicycle on campus instead of driving alone.
- While washing your hands or brushing your teeth, turn off the water until you're ready to rinse.
- Shorten your showers.
- Do full loads of laundry in cold water.
- Print on both sides of the paper or re-use the back sides of old documents.
- Bring cutlery and dishware to the office instead of using disposable products.
- Carry a reusable coffee mug or water bottle instead of using disposable cups and buying bottled water.
- Go paperless for banking, utility bills and credit card payment.
- Reduce paper use, and think before you print.
- Bring reusable bags when shopping.
- Recycle. Put recyclables in designated containers, not the trash.