In keeping with Georgia Gwinnett College's mission to create baccalaureate degrees that meet the needs of the growing and diverse population of the northeast Atlanta metropolitan region, a Gwinnett County Teacher Education Advisory Board composed of classroom teachers, principals, central office administrators and GGC faculty was formed to develop the vision for GGC’s teacher education programs. A strong partnership with the Gwinnett County Public Schools is a vital component in the design and delivery of GGC’s field-based courses and provides the necessary opportunities for students to work in schools that are successful. Graduates who have positive experiences regardless of the location or demographics of a school will be prepared and motivated to work in a variety of school settings, thus improving the educational equity across schools.
The partnership model includes:
- Implementation of a system-wide professional development partnership.
- Extensive opportunities for students to work in successful, diverse schools.
- Ongoing development and refinement of GGC’s teacher education programs.
- GGC clinical faculty in the schools who provide technical expertise to the schools as well as to GGC students.
- GGC clinical faculty support for the induction process as GGC begins to graduate new teachers.
- GGC students serve as role models for the students in the elementary, middle and high schools in Gwinnett County and help to set early expectations for college attendance.
Developing a Human Capital Pipeline
The partnership between GGC and GCPS is a key element in the development of human capital for the Gwinnett County Public Schools. By identifying talented students from the high schools who are representative of the demographics of Gwinnett County (especially low-income and under-represented groups), GCPS can recruit future teachers who will complete GGC’s teacher education programs and return in the future to teach in the school system. The College and GCPS will work together to provide support for these new teachers as well as those already in the system. Already, more than half of GGC’s current teacher candidates have graduated from Gwinnett County Public Schools.
In addition to supporting candidates during field and clinical experiences, the proposed human capital development pipeline will provide mentoring critical to the induction of beginning teachers. Georgia Gwinnett College envisions having clinical faculty whose full-time placement is aligned with the collaborating school areas as identified by GCPS. This will result in a professional development partnership that extends across the school system, thus allowing for multiple schools to be systematically involved in the partnership process. While the primary role of the clinical faculty is the oversight of pre-service teachers, these faculty will also provide induction support for beginning teachers in collaboration with local teachers and administrators. The presence of GGC faculty in the Gwinnett County Public Schools will facilitate a partnership that extends beyond the specifics of field experiences and provides an opportunity for collaboration among the GGC faculty and the GCPS teaching faculty, fostering the further development of the human capital in both entities.
- Develop a cadre of quality teachers that reflects the region’s increasing cultural diversity.
- Create a human capital pipeline that identifies and nurtures future teaching talent, including under-represented groups, from Gwinnett County Public Schools' high schools.
- Provide integrated field experiences for students at Georgia Gwinnett College who are pursuing teacher certification.
- Present students with opportunities to understand and practice the policies, procedures and systems utilized in Gwinnett County Public Schools.
- Contribute to a teacher workforce that is committed to ensuring that K-12 students complete high school ready to enter college.
- Foster an environment in K-12 schools that promotes college completion as an attainable goal for first-generation college students and other non-traditional populations.