Many students find that they become more confident in their studies after visiting the Academic Enhancement Center (AEC). Available services include tutoring in many disciplines, academic and skill-building workshops, plus study resources to aid your success.
Trained professional tutors, peer tutors and faculty volunteers provide 45-minute one-on-one individual sessions and group sessions in the AEC.Learn more about tutoring prep, expectations and scheduling.
Tutors in the Classroom
Tutoring Online, Everywhere
Smarthinking Online Tutoring Service
Anywhere, anytime, online tutoring is available through Smarthinking. Log in to MyCourses (Brightspace by D2L), and click “eTutoring” located top right of the page to access online tutoring in a variety of subjects.
Prepping Your Session
- Bring assignment instructions and rubrics.
- Notes, textbook and handouts are always helpful.
- Come prepared to answer and ask questions.
Scheduling In-person Sessions
- Visit or call to schedule appointments (24-hour advance notice).
- Drop in: first come, first served. You’re always welcome, but sometimes there’s a wait time, and the last tutoring session occurs 45 minutes before closing.
- A maximum of two tutoring sessions per student are allowed each day, and same-subject tutoring requires a 3-hour gap between sessions. This rule facilitates the learning process.
- Back-to-back tutoring sessions for two different subjects (e.g., math and English) are allowed.
Additional AEC Policies
- Tutoring is available for currently enrolled GGC students only.
- Tutors cannot assist students with take-home exams nor take-home essay exams.
- Students requesting tutoring for ITEC-1001 must attempt the assignment at least once before receiving tutoring.
Whether it’s coping with stress, time management, learning to write scientific papers or notetaking, there’s a student success workshop designed for your needs.View student success workshop offerings.
Visit the AEC Early and Often
- Computers loaded with assessment tools
- Helpful handouts, course-related software and citation manuals
- Reference books and textbooks
- Citation manuals used in academic research, such as the APA (American Psychological Association), Chicago or MLA (Modern Language Association) styles
Partner with the AEC
Call or email to …
- Request an in-class AEC meet-and-greet where students learn the benefits of visiting the AEC.
- Request an in-class writing workshop facilitated by a professional tutor.
- Reserve the AEC Study Lab for hour-long increments on Fridays to facilitate group study sessions.
- Request a tutor in the classroom (TAC) to complement classroom learning and provide additional support.
Hear more about the AEC.