Social media is defined as a means of interaction in which users create, share and develop multimedia and textual content across a wide array of platforms meant for social interaction through electronic distribution. Social media websites are important additions to the overall GGC web presence. These sites represent the College and serve to unify the College’s look and feel and to engage audiences positively with the College’s message and vision.
Official Tools and Accounts
Social media tools approved by the Digital Communications Team include, but not be limited to, Facebook, Flickr, Foursquare, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube. Additional tools may be evaluated by the digital communications team on a case-by-case basis.
Official GGC social media accounts are listed on the Connect to GGC page. In order to be considered an official College account, the social media account should:
- Be relevant to a large number of students
- Be sustainable year round
- Have a designated social media content manager who is recommended, in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by his or her division’s or unit’s leader;
- Share administrative access with the digital communications team, if the tool allows for dual administration;
- Ensure that all logos, photographs, and GGC trademarked graphics adhere to the GGC Graphic Standards—Usage and Style Guide, the GGC Athletics—Brand Identity Usage and Style Guide; and the GGC Digital Communications Guide; and
Social Media Content Managers
Social media content managers should comply with the requirements outlined in the content section below and sign and adhere to the Social Media Policies and Best Practices agreement located in the GGC Digital Communications Guide.
It is the social media content manager’s responsibility to monitor the account and any comments associated with the account. Additionally, it is the social media content manager’s responsibility to attend any associated training provided by the digital communications team.
The social media content manager is responsible for ensuring the following content policies are adhered to, in order to remain an official GGC social media account:
- Content should be monitored and updated regularly. When posting links, be sure to check the URLs for accuracy.
- Information representing the College should be accurate, current and appropriately representing the College’s brand and image.
- Some forms of content are not allowed on social media sites, except when produced as an educational asset. If the content seems questionable, it is the responsibility of the content manager to contact the Page 11 digital communications team for approval. Content, whether in text, imagery or multimedia form, falling into this category or considered to be in “poor taste” may not be approved for the site. Examples of some questionable content include, but are not limited to:
- References to alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, tobacco, smoking products or references to any activities that may violate local, state or federal laws and regulations
- References to gambling, lotteries or sweepstakes
- Unfavorable references to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation or disability
- Advertisement or promotion of services or goods outside the College, except with official GGC partners
- References that violate confidentiality or privacy laws about the College and/or its faculty, staff or students. Student privacy information is available at www.ggc.edu/academics/registration/ferpa.
- Include citations and/or provide links to original material when quoting thoughts, ideas, photos or videos. For more information on copyright laws, plagiarism, citations and intellectual property, visit www.ggc.edu/library.
GGC’s digital communications team may oversee and evaluate key social media pages representative of GGC and require deletion of content if deemed necessary.
Social Media Account Requests
To request a social media account setup, please complete the Communications Request Form located on this site.Start Your Request