Research and Grants | Effort Reporting

Research and Grant FAQs

If I am a part-time faculty/staff, can I submit a grant?

The institutional policies permit only full-time faculty/staff to submit a grant and serve as GGC principal investigator / project director (PI/PD).

Will the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) write my grant?

No, you as the content expert will develop the proposal with editing assistance and guidance from ORSP.

Will ORSP help prepare my budget?

Yes, ORSP will guide you in your budget development to assure compliance with all federal, state and institutional guidelines.

What other resources for funding are available?

ORSP can assist you with locating funding. You should complete the ORSP Funding Opportunity Request form (PDF) to initiate this service.

I have located funding. What do I do next?

The process is described in detail in the ORSP Award Life Cycle and the Policies and Procedures Manual.

What items are allowable in my budget?

Allowable budget items will depend on the grant guidelines and must conform to federal, state and institutional policies. The Policies and Procedures Manual provides additional information regarding allowable costs.

Am I allowed to apply for grants that require cost-share/match?

You are discouraged from submitting to grants that require cost-sharing or match. Cost-sharing or matching strains institutional resources and takes away resources (such as faculty and staff time) that may be needed by the College. If you are allowed to apply for grants that require cost-sharing, you must have the cost-share approved by the unit/dean and provide documentation of committed match from internal and external partners.

How do I determine where a required cost-share/match will be paid from?

Working in consultation with your unit/dean and ORSP, funding for the required cost-share/match will be explored. Cost-share/match may include time, printing, food, related supplies, travel costs and other allowable GGC donations.

What does IDC mean?

The acronym IDC stands for indirect cost (aka facilities and administration). These are the costs to support your research or sponsored program, such as buildings, equipment, library, operations and maintenance expenses, supplies, technology, general administration and general expenses. All budgets for sponsored programs must include indirect costs when applicable. 

What is GGC’s IDC rate?

Effective July 1, 2021, the GGC IDC rate is 41.63%. This rate is effective until July 1, 2025

Who processes payments for my grant?

Your school/unit administrative assistant can assist you with requests, purchase orders, travel and personnel requests.

Can I receive compensation as the PI/PD of my grant?

Yes. You are allowed to earn up to 30% of your annual contract for the summer months only when not on contract.

Can I hire part-time help, including students?

Yes, if your grant allows it.

How much are student assistants allowed to earn?

Students are paid $8.25/hour and allowed to work no more than 25 hours per week.

What about part-time help?

Please consult Human Resources before considering this option.

Can I hire a consultant?

Yes, if your grant allows it.

Can I purchase food for my grant?

Yes, if your grant allows it. Purchases must also comply with state and institutional purchasing policies.

Can I serve as a sub-awardee?

Yes. In fact, serving as a sub-awardee will provide experience for your own future funding and exposure for GGC.

Can I grant sub-awards in my proposal?

No. GGC is not positioned to award subawards to other institutions or entities at this time. This policy is stated in the Research and Sponsored Programs Policy and Procedures Manual Section D.

Who must review and approve my proposal before I submit it?

Your supervisor / school dean, along with ORSP director and the senior VPASA/provost, among others, must all sign the routing form before submission.

Am I required to consult with IRB before conducting my research?

It depends on the subject being studied. It is recommended that the GGC Institutional Review Board (IRB) be consulted before conducting your research.

Should I be concerned about intellectual property rights?

Yes, all researchers should consider its applicability to the research outcomes and consult with GGC IP committee or ORSP.

Why is a time and effort reporting form required?

The time and effort reporting certifies to the funder that you have completed the work as stated in the grant.

Who provides letters of support for my grant?

The grant guidelines will state if letters of support are required. If allowed, the letters of support may be provided by your unit/dean, library dean, the senior VPASA/provost, and/or the president.

When I receive a grant, who is responsible for signing the grant agreement / MOU / MOA?

Funds are awarded to the College, not the PI / PD. The person responsible for signing the grant agreement is GGC’s designated representative. All agreements must be processed by ORSP.

Will my funding be paid to me directly?

Funds are awarded to the College, not the PI / PD. Should you receive a check, it should be forwarded to ORSP.

What happens if I have not completed my activities and my grant is about to expire?

You should be in consultation with ORSP immediately so that the funder can be contacted to request a no-cost extension, if allowed.

Who should I contact if I wish to apply for a grant to a private foundation that requires a 501c3?

You should consult with the GGC Foundation for grants requiring a nonprofit status.

Can I write a grant to support my travel?

Yes, you may. There are grants available for faculty / staff to travel for research and dissemination purposes.

Can research study participants receive compensation for their participation?

Individuals with a GGC ID may receive compensation for their participation in a research study. The amount cannot exceed $15 for the project / activity. To receive compensation, a Petty Cash Disbursement Form (PDF) provided by ORSP must be completed by the PI and signed by the budget manager. The form is then given to the participant to present to Student Accounts within five days of issuance for payment.

Will ORSP locate money/resources to fund my research?

Yes, ORSP encourages the use of Pivot (create account or login), a funding database, to begin your quest for funding.

What is fringe benefit cost?

Fringe benefit costs are the employment-related benefits associated with FICA (social security); FICA Med (Medicare); Health and Life Insurance and Retirement and other costs as defined in the BOR Business Procedures Manual. The Office of Business and Finance provides established rates to utilize in preparing program budgets that require fringe costs to be included.

If allowed, the grant’s budget should include the current rates for the employer’s portion of the fringe benefits. Current rates as of July 1, 2019 (July 21, 2019 to June 30, 2020) are as follows:

FICA Medicare: 1.45%

FICA Social Security: 6.20%

Teacher’s Retirement System: 21.14%

Optional Retirement Plan: 9.24%

Rates starting July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 are:

FICA Medicare: 1.45%

FICA Social Security: 6.20%

Teacher’s Retirement System: 19.06%

Optional Retirement Plan: 11.81%


Only FICA Medicare is applied to part-time employees working on a grant.

What is our current mileage rate?

$0.56 per mile for automobile as of Calendar Year 2021 for Tier 1. This is subject to change. Please consult GGC Travel for other forms of transportation and mileage rate for non-GGC employees.

[ Back to top ]

Effort Reporting FAQs

I am taking a research leave (or administrative leave) during my award’s project period. Is there anything I should do?

Contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs before your leave so prior approval can be obtained. The sponsor must be informed and must approve the leaves of any PI/PD or key personnel, especially if it will be over three months or a reduction of 25% effort.

I am being asked to certify that I have worked on a specific grant-funded project. I do not know if the work I am performing is in support of that project. What do I do?

You should consult with your supervisor, PI / PD, or other appropriate individuals to learn what award your work supports. 

Why is the Uniform Guidance Compensation Confirmation required?

Federal regulations issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) require employees performing work on sponsored agreements to certify college work efforts as a distribution of 100% of total compensated time worked. The Uniform Guidance Compensation Confirmation (UGCC) report is certified by the principal investigator/project director or the co-principal investigator/project director on an after-the fact- annual basis that the salary and wages charged to their sponsored projects, including committed cost share, are accurate and reasonable in relation to the work performed for the Reported Time Period.

What activities are included in and excluded from institutional effort?

Although the scope of activities considered as total college effort may differ among individuals, the following activities provide general guidance as to what would be considered part of college effort.


The individual's time spent on research, instruction, administration, or service is included.


Excluded are any income that an individual is permitted to earn outside of duties.

I am an AY faculty. Can I cost-share my unpaid summer effort to meet any grant requirements?

No, because this would result in unpaid effort which violates labor laws.

What is effort reporting?

Effort reporting is a process designed to ensure that effort committed to a sponsored activity is confirmed after the fact as having been performed as committed or at some other level. The committed effort is indicated in the award. Effort for a sponsored project is considered in the context of all institutional responsibilities. Significant reductions in effort (ordinarily ≥ 25% of committed effort, or absences of three months or longer in duration) typically require prior approval from the sponsor.

ORSP uses the Uniform Guidance Compensation Confirmation (UGCC) report  for all federal grants. The UGCC report is certified by the principal investigator/project director or the co-principal investigator/project director on an after-the fact- annual basis that the salary and wages charged to their sponsored projects, including committed cost share, are accurate and reasonable in relation to the work performed for the Reported Time Period. GGC's UGCC report was created since the Uniform Guidance's preamble (Federal Register, volume 78, #248, 12/26/13) identified certain flexibilities for institutions to help reduce burden on institutions by focusing on: (1) Performance over Compliance for Accountability (II.2); (2) Innovative models and cost-effective approaches by strengthening the requirements for internal controls while providing administrative flexibility for institutions (I.A); (3) Advances in technology (sophistication of internal controls) that allow for alternatives to previous requirements (e.g. examples of effort reporting) that can provide a higher standard of accountability without burdensome process (COFAR response to 200.430 Preamble comments).

For non-federal grants, ORSP tracks only the committed cost-sharing.  

Are there any exceptions to effort reporting?

Here is a partial list of grants or effort that ORSP does not track:

  • Voluntary, non-mandatory work towards a grant
  • Equipment and instrumentation grants for acquisition are not tracked, unless the sponsor requests to track the PI/PD and co-PI/PD’s effort for the installation, setup, and scheduling, among others
  • Travel grants, fellowships, career awards, workshop/conference grants

ORSP tracks only effort that is included in the approved budget justification and/or the award letter as a mandatory cost-share or as compensated time.