Kaufman to leave GGC for Gwinnett Chamber presidency
News release, March 14, 2013
GGC bids farewell to President Kaufman with touching celebration
News release, May 1, 2013
Daniel J. Kaufman
GGC President, 2005-2013
Dr. Kaufman Facts
- Native of Brunswick, Georgia.
- Holds degrees from the United States Military Academy at West Point, Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Recipient of the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. Attained the rank of Brigadier General in the U.S. Army.
- Former member of the National Security Council staff in the White House, in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and assistant to three Chiefs of Staff of the Army.
- Former Dean of the Academic Board and Chief Academic Officer at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
- Member of the Council on Foreign Relations, the International Studies Association, and the American Political Science Association.
- Active member of the Gwinnett community, serving in leadership positions for several organizations.
- Author of several books on international relations.
Read Dr. Kaufman’s full biography.
GGC Milestones during Kaufman's Term
- Dr. Kaufman became charter president of the then-unnamed college in September 2005.
- Georgia Gwinnett College opened its doors on August 18, 2006 to 118 students as the nation’s first four-year public college founded in the 21st century and the first four-year public institution created in Georgia in more than 100 years.
- GGC’s students voted to name its Grizzly mascot “General” to honor Dr. Kaufman.
- In 2008, GGC held its inaugural commencement ceremony, graduating 17 students.
- In 2009, the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools granted Georgia Gwinnett its initial accreditation in record time. More than 3,000 students attended GGC.
- In 2010, GGC celebrated the opening of its new Library and Learning Center and its first student residence halls, transforming the commuter college into a residential campus.
- More than 5,300 students enrolled for the 2010 fall semester.
- The Student Center and laboratory structure opened in 2011.
- GGC enrolled 9,400 students in fall 2012.
- In 2013, the College broke ground on its Allied Health and Sciences Building.
- 2012-13 was the Grizzlies’ first season of official intercollegiate competition in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. The varsity athletics facilities were completed.
For GGC’s full history, click here.