Classes are small, with no more than 15 participants per class. Classes prepare you for success in an American college or university and introduce you to U.S. culture and university life. Classes meet 20 hours a week, Monday through Thursday.
You will be assigned to one of five curriculum levels, based on your placement test results. ELI participants must spend additional time preparing and studying for their classes, and those who have successfully completed one level will be promoted to the next level.
Classes in the Intensive program begin at 9 a.m. and run through 3 p.m.
Listening and Speaking
Communicative activities will help you improve your comprehension and expression of spoken English and reinforce vocabulary and pronunciation.
Courses focus on building vocabulary, reading, and study skills with level-appropriate materials.
You will learn and practice techniques that will help you develop the writing skills necessary for academic success.
English grammar is taught and practiced through a variety of communicative and functional activities.
This course helps ELI participants to expand their academic English vocabulary.
At the end of each term, certificates will be awarded to all participants who complete the ELI program and are ready to apply for regular admission to a college or university.
The certificate of program completion from the English Language Institute at Georgia Gwinnett College is recognized by the University System of Georgia as proof of English proficiency and fulfills the English proficiency requirement to be admitted to bachelor's degree programs at Georgia Gwinnett College.
Upcoming ELI Sessions
Fall 2021, Session A
- August 3: Orientation and placement testing
- August 9: Session begins
- August 13: Last day for first week withdrawal
- September 1: Mid-session progress verification
- September 6: Labor Day holiday
- September 30: Session ends
Fall 2021, Session B
- October 1: Orientation and placement testing
- October 4: Session begins
- October 8: Last day for first week withdrawal
- October 27: Mid-session progress verification
- November 24: Session ends
Spring 2022, Session A
- January 11: Orientation and placement testing
- January 18: Session begins
- January 21: Last day for first week withdrawal
- February 9: Mid-session progress verification
- March 10: Session ends
Spring 2022, Session B
- March 11: Orientation and placement testing
- March 14: Session begins
- March 18: Last day of first week withdrawal
- March 21-26: Spring Break
- April 13: Mid-session progress verification
- May 11: Session ends
- May 17: Orientation and placement testing
- May 23: Session begins
- May 27: Last day for first week withdrawal
- May 30: Memorial Day holiday
- June 15: Mid-session progress verification
- July 4: Independence Day holiday
- July 14: Session ends
Fall 2022, Session A
- August 2: Orientation and placement testing
- August 8: Session begins
- August 12: Last day for first week withdrawal
- August 31: Mid-session progress verification
- September 5: Labor Day holiday
- September 29: Session ends
Fall 2022, Session B
- September 30: Orientation and placement testing
- October 3: Session begins
- October 7: Last day for first week withdrawal
- October 26: Mid-session progress verification
- November 23: Session ends
ELI participants must attend at least 85 percent of their classes and do the assigned work.
Full-time ELI participants enjoy many of the same privileges as GGC students, including access to the Student Center and recreational facilities. You are invited to participate in many social and cultural events such as banquets, cookouts and field trips to historic and cultural landmarks. The ELI has an activities coordinator that plans weekend trips and local activities.