Conversation Partners is a program that pairs speakers of English as a second language with GGC students to talk about topics of interest. The program allows students to enhance their speaking skills and learn about another culture.
- Learning about another culture and language in a comfortable format is fun and educational.
- ELI students benefit from practicing spoken English and learning about American culture and student life by interacting with other students.
- For GGC students, the program provides a window into another culture and language, which is vital in an interconnected and global world.
- Interacting with someone from another culture provides an authentic voice to complement academic studies.
- The program offers a chance to practice speaking in another language. If you are studying French, Chinese or Spanish at GGC, this is your opportunity to practice speaking those languages. You could speak in English for 30 minutes and another language for 30 minutes at each meeting.
- Helping an international student acclimate to American culture can help provide understanding and insight into one’s own culture.
- Making a friend and being a friend is a positive benefit for all involved.
How does the program work?
- Interested GGC students and ELI students must each complete an application.
- Matched students attend an initial meeting and short orientation.
- Matched students arrange to meet at a time and place convenient for informal conversation once a week for one hour.
ELI Student: Application
If you have questions, please contact the English Language Institute.