Dr. Binh Tran
Associate Professor of Information Technology
Dr. Binh Tran is an associate professor of information technology in the School of Science and Technology at Georgia Gwinnett College. At GGC, he teaches courses in computing, information systems, computer networking, advanced networks, systems administration and cloud technologies.
Prior to joining GGC in 2012, Tran taught computer hardware, operating systems, Cisco networking and Microsoft Server environments for higher education in the state of Georgia for more than 10 years as an instructor and program director.
While in the industry, Tran was an IT infrastructure specialist with over 10 years of experience as a computer hardware engineer, network administrator, designer and test engineering manager. He currently holds over 20 industry certifications from AWS, CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft and EC-Council.
He earned his bachelor’s in electrical engineering from Georgia Tech, master MIT and MBA degrees from AIU and a doctorate in information systems from California University.
Tran believes that as a professor it is his duty to not only teach students the material concepts and progress them through their course of study, but to develop them to become professionals and prepare them for acquiring that first job in the field through continuous mentorship. He embeds industry certifications, resume review, interview preparation and career advice into all his courses readying students for industry success.
Tran received GGC’s Inaugural Top Claw Award in 2014 for consistently going above and beyond in teaching, student engagement and service. In addition, he received Academic Excellence, Service Excellence, Outstanding Faculty, Outstanding Teaching, Outstanding Mentoring and Top 25 Nationally Ranked Professor awards and recognition throughout the years.
In 2019, Tran received the Felton Jenkins Jr. Hall of Fame Faculty Award – The University System of Georgia's highest faculty honor.
Amazon Web Services
- AWS Academy Accredited Educator
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- Cloud Essentials+
- IT Fundamentals
- Network Infrastructure Professional
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Fundamentals
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Foundations 2020 Associate
- Doctorate – information systems – California University
- Master’s – information technology – American InterContinental University
- Master’s – business administration – American InterContinental University
- Bachelor’s – electrical engineering – Georgia Tech
- Outstanding Service Award, 2021 – Georgia Gwinnett College
- Top 25 Most Influential Asian Americans in Georgia, 2021 – Georgia Asian Times
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award, 2020 – Georgia Gwinnett College
- Regents' Excellence in Teaching Award, 2019 – University System of Georgia
- Outstanding Teaching Award, 2018 – Georgia Gwinnett College
- Top 25 National Professor Recognition, 2018 – Rate My Professors (ranked 2nd)
- Outstanding Faculty Award, 2017 – STEM Academy
- Outstanding Faculty Award, 2016 – Tech Camp, Georgia Gwinnett College
- Top 25 National Professor Recognition, 2015 – Rate My Professors (ranked 16th)
- Top Claw Award, 2014 – Georgia Gwinnett College
- Academic Excellence Award, 2013 – Westwood College
- Service Excellence Award, 2012 – Westwood College