Dr. Charles Pibel
Associate Dean and Associate Professor of Chemistry and BiochemistryDownload vCard
Dr. Charles Pibel is the son of two Peace Corps volunteers who heard and followed President Kennedy's call to service. Pibel’s parents met and married in Nigeria, where they taught at a girls' high school.
Pibel grew up in Los Angeles, Calif., with visions of becoming a professional trumpet player. A very bad experience with orthodontia pushed him into becoming a science major. For college, Pibel stayed close to home, and studied chemistry at Harvey Mudd College. After college, Pibel heeded the advice of his professors and went to graduate school for physical chemistry at UC Berkeley.
Pibel has enjoyed his career as a scientist and teacher. He has had a rich and varied career, thus far. He has most enjoyed working with students and scientists from around the world.
Pibel comes to Georgia Gwinnett College from 12 years of service at the National Science Foundation, where he was a program director in the chemistry division.
- Doctorate – physical chemistry – University of California, Berkeley
- Post-Doctoral – physical chemistry – University of Tokyo
- Post-Doctoral – physical chemistry – University of Pennsylvania
- Bachelor's – chemistry – Harvey Mudd College
- Molecular spectroscopy and chemical dynamics
- Atmospheric chemistry
- Musical acoustics