Dr. James D. Lowry, Jr.
Associate Professor of Geography, Chair of Faculty and StudiesDownload vCard
Notice: Dr. Lowry has been granted professional leave for the 2020/2021 academic year to serve as a distinguished visiting professor of geosciences at the United States Air Force Academy.
Dr. James Lowry was born in Charleston, S.C. and lived in Big Spring, Texas; Tripoli, Libya; Gastonia, N.C.; Atwater, Calif.; and Warner Robins, Ga. through age 13, as father his was in the U.S. Air Force. He moved back to Gastonia, N.C. (parents’ home town), when his father retired, and lived there until graduate school. Lowry has since lived in Greenville, N.C.; Tucson, Ariz.; Chico, Calif.; Rancho Cordova, Calif.; Ada, Okla.; Sherman, Texas; Nacogdoches, Texas; and Jefferson, La. He lives with a very sweet beagle named, Ruthie.
Lowry was the former associate professor and chair of Department of Cartography and Geography at East Central University in Ada, Okla., assistant professor of geography and associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, and associate professor and chair of the Department of Geography at the University of New Orleans.
- Doctorate – geography – University of Arizona
- Master’s – geography – East Carolina University
- Bachelor’s – business – Belmont Abbey College
- Perception of the natural environment
- Hazards and disasters
- Cultural ecology, consumerism, sustainability
- 2020-21 academic year – Distinguished Visiting Professor of Geosciences, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- December 2020 – Gamma Theta Upsilon International Geographical Honor Society Presidential Citation Award
- October 2012 – Gamma Theta Upsilon International Geographical Honor Society Distinguished Service Award
- 1999-2000, Teaching Excellence Award, East Central University
- Summers of 1997, 1998, 1999 – Summer Faculty Fellowship, Global Hydrology and Climate Center, Marshall Space Flight Center, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Huntsville, Ala.