Dr. James Allen Weisel
Professor of Accountancy
Dr. Weisel is a professor of accountancy in the School of Business. His research interests include capacity management, performance measurement and data analytics with numerous articles published in such journals as Western Journal of Human Resource Management, Academy of Educational Leadership Journal, Journal of the International Academy for Case Studies, Strategic Finance, Journal of Accounting Case Research and Journal of Accountancy. During his teaching career, he has held positions at Mercer University, The University of South Dakota, Chinese University of Hong Kong and the University of Akron.
Weisel teaches data analytics, cost managerial accounting, and international accounting. His focus in all of these courses is on using accounting information to improve managerial decision making. In class, he emphases problem solving activities through individual and group exercises. He employs a minimum of “lecture,” mostly through video presentations – maximizing the use of class time for engagement in reinforcing problem solving skills.
Weisel has been instrumental in guiding the school of business faculty in their transition from strictly face-to-face instruction to online, hybrid, and hyflex modalities necessitated by the tumultuous effects of the pandemic. He led numerous workshops, and continues to create new resources, to provide faculty with the skills needed to maintain the school’s high-quality instruction.
Weisel has been a guest lecturer at Berufsakademie Bad Mergentheim School of Business in Germany where he taught controllership for the International Business Program. He was also a visiting professor for the Wing Lung Bank International Institute for Business Development at Hong Kong Baptist University.
Weisel possesses a doctorate in business administration (DBA) from the University of Kentucky and an MBA from Marquette University. He is a certified public accountant (CPA), a certified management accountant (CMA), and a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) and is certified in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Weisel is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the American Accounting Association (AAA), and the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) where he is a past vice-president of communications and is a past-president of an IMA chapter.
- Doctorate – business administration, accountancy – University of Kentucky
- Master's – business administration – Marquette University
- “Analytics by Infusion (ABI): Implementing Data Analytics into Introductory Undergraduate Business Courses.” Western Journal of Human Resource Management. Volume 19, Issue 1, Fall 2021. pp 66-72.
- "An Application of Linear Programming in Performance Evaluation." Academy of Educational Leadership Journal. Co-authors Livinus U. Uko and Robert J. Lutz. Volume 21, Issue 1, 2017. pp.1-7.
- "Deutsche AutoParts, LLC - Reconciling U.S. GAAP to IFRS." Journal of the International Academy for Case Studies. Volume 21, Issue 5, 2015, pp. 319 - 322.
- "Simplify Your Future with Rolling Charts." Journal of Accountancy. July 2012, pp. 36-41.
- "Forecasting with Excel." Journal of Accountancy. February 2009, pp. 62-67.
- "Dial a Forecast." Journal of Accountancy. December 2006, pp. 75-78.
- "Add Even More Muscle to What-if Analyses." Journal of Accountancy. March 2005, pp. 76-79.
- Add Muscle to "What-if Analyses." Journal of Accountancy. September 2004, pp. 38-41.
- "Help Your Clients Understand Capacity Utilization with Excel's Solver Tool." Journal of Accountancy. December 2003, pp. 62-67.
- Co-authors Neal Harm and Cassie Bradley. "The Cash Factor." Strategic Finance. September 2003, pp 29-33.
- "Sabbatical Marine, Inc.: Utilizing Constrained Resources." The Journal of Accounting Case Research, Spring 2003, Vol. 7, No. 2, Fall 2003, pp. 75-90.