Dr. Neelam Khan
Associate Professor of Physics, Chair of Faculty and Studies
Dr. Khan earned her Ph.D. in Physics at Kansas State University studying the growth and characterization of Group III-V Nitrides by metal organic chemical vapor deposition.
She joined GGC in fall 2010. Her teaching is focused on accomplishing two main objectives: to induce the ability in students to think independently, and to use practical applications to facilitate an understanding of fundamental concepts and problem solving. She has a strong desire to make a positive difference in her students learning through her teaching and innovative research so that they will become productive and creative professionals, in their academic career and research endeavors.
Her research interests are growth of semiconductors, device physics and nano lithography of polymers. She has expertise in growth of thin films of semiconductors by metal organic chemical vapor deposition, and characterization techniques such as x-ray diffraction, atomic force microscope, electroluminescence, and Hall Effect measurements.
- Doctorate – physics – Kansas State University
- Master's – physics – University of the Punjab
- Physics education research
- Khan, N., Uddin, M.R., Li, J. et al. A conductive AFM study of carbon-rich hexagonal (BN)C semiconductor alloys. MRS Communications 12, 223–228 (2022).
- Khan, N., Li, J. & Edgar, J.H. The thermal oxidation of hexagonal boron nitride single crystals: Dry and ambient air compared. MRS Communications 12, 74–82 (2022).
- J. D. Ametepe and N. Khan, Teaching physics during COVID-19 pandemic: implementation and report of teaching strategies to support student learning, Phys. Educ. 56 065030, Oct 2021.
- Neelam Khan, Sang H. Park, Lorraine Kadima, Carlove Bourdeau, Evelyn Calina, Charles Warren Edmunds, and David P. Pursell, “Locally Sustainable Biodiesel Production from Waste Cooking Oil and Grease Using a Deep Eutectic Solvent: Characterization, Thermal Properties, and Blend Performance”, ACS Omega, 6 (13), 9204-9212, (2021).
- Sang Hyuck Park, Neelam Khan, Seungjin Lee, Kathryn Zimmermann, Matthew DeRosa, Lennox Hamilton, Whitney Hudson, Syed Hyder, Marlyne Serratos, Evan Sheffield, Anirudh Veludhandi, and David P. Pursell, “Biodiesel Production from Locally-Sourced Restaurant Waste Cooking Oil and Grease: Synthesis, Characterization and Performance Evaluation”, ACS Omega 4 (4), 7775-7784, (2019).
- N. Khan, E. Nour, J. Mondoux, S. Liu, J. Edgar, and Y. Berta, Hexagonal Boron Nitride Single Crystal Thermal Oxidation and Etching in Air: An Atomic Force Microscopy Study, MRS Advances, 4(10), 601-608, (2019).
- Hayder A. Al-Atabi, Neelam Khan, Edil Nour, Joseph Mondoux, Yi Zhang, and J. H. Edgar, Bulk (100) scandium nitride crystal growth by sublimation on tungsten single crystal seeds, Applied Physics Letters 113, 122106 (2018).
- Khan, N., Park, S. H.; Pursell, D. P.; Zimmermann, K. Leveraging Student Interest in Environmental Topics for Undergraduate Research in an Interdisciplinary Environmental Research Cluster. In Best Practices for Supporting and Expanding Undergraduate Research in Chemistry; ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society, Vol. 1275, pp 181–208, ch011, (2018).
- J. H. Edgar, S. Liu, T. Hoffman, Yichao Zhang, M. E. Twigg, Nabil D. Bassim, Shenglong Liang, and Neelam Khan, Defect sensitive etching of hexagonal boron nitride single crystals, Journal of Applied Physics, 122, 225110 (2017).
- Balabalaji Padavala, Clint Frye, Zihao Ding, Ruifen Chen, Michael Dudley, Balaji Raghothamachar, Neelam Khan, and J.H. Edgar, Preparation, properties, and characterization of boron phosphide films on 4H- and 6H-silicon carbide, Solid State Sciences 47, 55-60, (2015).
- T.B. Hoffman, Y. Zhang, J.H. Edgar, N. Khan, and R. Szoszkiewicz, Morphology of Bulk Hexagonal Boron Nitride Crystals Grown from Ni-Cr Flux. Materials Science & Technology, 1591, (2014).
- Neelam Khan, Dong-Hai Nguyen, Zongzhou Chang, and N. Sanjay Rebello, Comparing The Use Of Multimedia Animations And Written Solutions In Facilitating Problem Solving. AIP Conf. Proc. 1513, 214 (2013).
- Neelam Khan, Dehui Hu, Dong-Hai Nguyen, and N. Sanjay Rebello, Assessing Students’ Ability to Solve Introductory Physics Problems Using Integrals in Symbolic and Graphical Representations. AIP Conf. Proc. 1413, 227 (2012).
- B. N. Pantha, H. Wang, N. Khan, J. Y. Lin, and H. X. Jiang, “Origin of background electron concentration in InxGa1−xN alloys”, Phys. Rev. B 84, 075327 (2011).
- N. Khan, A. Sedhain, J. Li, J. Y. Lin, and H. X. Jiang, “High Mobility InN epilayers grown on AlN epilayer templates”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 172101 (2008).
- N. Khan, N. Nepal, A. Sedhain, J. Y. Lin and H. X. Jiang, Mg acceptor level in InN epilayers probed by photoluminescence. Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, 012101 (2007).
- N. Khan, J. Li, Effect of compressive strain on the optical properties of InxGa1-x N/ GaN quantum wells. Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 151916 (2006).
- American Physical Society
- Materials Research Society
- American Association of Physics Teachers