Dr. Susan Bleyle
Associate Professor of EnglishDownload vCard
Dr. Susan Bleyle has been teaching English as a Second Language and English for Academic Purposes in both adult education and higher education contexts for more than 20 years. She previously taught at DeKalb Technical College, The International Rescue Committee, The Latin American Association, Georgia State University and Georgia Perimeter College before joining the faculty of Georgia Gwinnett College in 2007.
Bleyle has a bachelor’s degree in Russian from Oberlin College, a master's degree in applied linguistics from Georgia State University, and a Ph.D. in language and literacy education from The University of Georgia. Her professional interests include the academic literacy development of language minority students in higher education, poetry writing in the second language classroom, and the use of automated essay-scoring in writing courses. An avid language learner herself, Bleyle enjoys speaking German, Spanish, Russian and Bosnian.
- Doctorate – language and literacy education – The University of Georgia
- Master's – applied linguistics – Georgia State University
- Bachelor's – Russian and Soviet studies – Oberlin College
- Academic literacy development of language minority students in higher education
- Poetry writing in the second language classroom
- Automated essay-scoring use in writing courses
- Academic Excellence Award, Georgia State University
- Woman of Impact Award, Georgia Perimeter College
- Nominee, Excellence in Service Award, Georgia Gwinnett College.
- TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages)