Dr. Xin Xu
Associate Professor of Information TechnologyDownload vCard
Dr. Xin Xu is an associate professor of information technology in the School of Science and Technology. Prior to joining GGC, she was an instructor at Louisiana Technical College for two years. She found her passion for teaching while working as a teaching assistant at Louisiana Tech University as a graduate student. She has taught a variety of classes and her teaching and research interests include, but are not limited to, web development, computer networks, programming languages, digital media, network security and artificial intelligence.
She is devoted to her students inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to engaging the students in her classes, she has also:
- Supervised and guided students in various individual projects (STEC4500) such as developing web animation for GGC faculty, creating web application to facilitate the non-profit organizations
- Taken students to national and regional conferences to present the project and to share the experiences
- Participated and helped organize the Tech Ambassador Program (TAP) to retain students and to build technical leaders, especially women and students in under-represented groups.
- Developed and led the service learning course (STEC4800) to expand the TAP program and make it sustainable
Xu was the recipient of the Outstanding Liaison Award from the STARS Corporation in 2015 to recognize her excellent work for TAP.
- Doctorate – computation analysis and modeling, network analysis and modeling – Louisiana Tech University
- Sonal Dekhane, Xin Xu, Mai Yin Tsoi, Mobile App Development to Increase Student Engagement and Problem Solving Skills, Journal of Information Systems Education, Vol. 24(4) Winter 2013
- Sonal Dekhane and Xin Xu. Engaging Students in Computing Using GameSalad. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 28.2 (2012): 117-123.
- Xin Xu, Sonal Dekhane, Sehrish Amanullah, Kingston Castillo, Za Eng Mawi, Jessica Sok, Technology Ambassadors Program – a Service Learning Course to Support Students in Computing, 2017 USG Teaching and Learning Conference, Athens GA, April 7th, 2017
- Nannette Napier, Kris Nagel, Xin Xu, Art of the Demo: How to Create Engaging 15 Minute Outreach Activities, Stars Celebration Conference, Atlanta GA, August 2016
- Kris Nagel, Nannette Napier, Sonal Dekhane, Xin Xu, Building Technical Leaders through Service: Implementing the STARS Computing Corps Model, 2016 Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Conference, September, 2016
- Xin Xu and Thaonguyen Nguyen, Game Development Workshop: How Our IT Students Promote Critical Thinking, 2015 University System of Georgia Teaching and Learning Conference, April 8th, 2015
- Adrian Heinz, Xin Xu and Allison D’Costa, Web-animations: An Interdisciplinary Approach for Biology and Information Technology Students, IEEE Integrated STEM Education Conference, March 7th, 2015
- Xin Xu and Sonal Dekhane. Engaging Students through Mobile Game Development: GameSalad V.S. AppInventor. The 43rd Annual Conference of the International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning, October, 2013.
- Xin Xu and Adrian Heinz. Web-Based Animation in Education. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Conference of the International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning, October 2012.