Independent or Dependent?

Answering “YES” to ANY of the following questions indicates you are an independent student. You may be asked to supply additional information on your FAFSA and to our office instead of your parent(s) information. Be prepared to provide any requested documentation.

  • Will you be 24 or older by January 1?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you have dependents who live with you and receive more than ½ of their support from you?
  • Since turning 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • Has it been determined by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that someone other than your parent or stepparent has legal guardianship of you?
  • Are you an unaccompanied homeless youth?
  • Are you on active duty for the U.S. armed services?
  • Are you a U.S. armed services veteran?

Answering “NO” to ALL of the questions indicates you are a dependent student. You will need to supply your parents(s) information on your FAFSA.

If you have more questions about Dependency Status, please visit Student Aid.

If you have special circumstances regarding your dependency status as it relates to federal aid, please contact Financial Aid directly at @email.