CAPS Overview Video
Counseling and Psychological Services overview by Dr. Andrew Stochel
Psychological Services Available?
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers telehealth sessions with students over the phone or using video chat. In-person services are suspended until further notice.
Services are available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 678.407.5592. We encourage you to contact us if you need assistance or have questions.
Students who are new to CAPS will need to contact CAPS to schedule a screening appointment. Students who are currently connected with a CAPS counselor may contact them directly to schedule an appointment.
In accordance with laws and regulations pertaining to mental health practice in the state of Georgia, students who have relocated out of state are not currently eligible for ongoing tele-health services from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).
However, we are happy to talk with you to assist with your concerns, provide continuity-of-care consultations, and help you connect with local resources. If you are already connected to an outside counselor, please reach out directly to your outside counselor.
Emergency assistance is available 24/7.
- GGC Public Safety: 678.407.5333
- Georgia Crisis and Access Line: 800.715.4225
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255
- Gwinnett Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline: 770.963.9799
- Mosaic Georgia (Sexual Assault): 866.900.6019
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800.799.SAFE (7233)
- SAMHSA National Helpline for Substance Abuse: 800.662.HELP (4357)
- National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) Helpline: 800.950.NAMI (6254)
- Georgia COVID-19 Emotional Support Line: 866.399.8938
Coping Techniques (with videos)
View information about coping in stressful times on the GGC blog as well as the following resources:
- Coping with anxiety and stress by Dr. Ronak Shariati
- Practicing mindfulness by Myra Cornelius
- Suicide prevention by Dr. Andrew Stochel
Counseling and Psychological Services is here to help you make the most of your GGC experience, both personally and academically. Counseling and Psychological Services offers initial assessment, individual counseling and referrals to off-campus therapists to help you gain the skills and insights you need to overcome adversity and thrive in your life and learning.
Any GGC student with a concern to discuss is welcome at Counseling and Psychological Services. View some of the common concerns. Services are free to GGC students. Students may receive services from doctoral-level clinical and counseling psychology students and will be notified in advance of their appointment and asked to sign the informed consent form (PDF).
Counseling and Psychological Services
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Crisis assistance
- Classroom presentations and workshops
- Assistance with referrals to community providers for other services
- Consultation to the GGC campus community regarding mental health/wellness, crisis situations, suicide prevention and promoting campus safety
Think You Need Help
Mental health is a key part of your overall health. To determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health provider or counselor, please complete this brief online mental health screening.
- Feeling anxious?
- Stressed about school?
- Having problems in a relationship?
Talking to someone in a private and confidential setting may be the right next step for you. Call 678.407.5592 to make an appointment.