Dr. Janita Rawls
Professor of Management, Assistant Dean for Assessment and AccreditationDownload vCard
Dr. Janita Rawls is currently a professor of management at Georgia Gwinnett College where she teaches courses in the management and leadership disciplines. She has held numerous academic and administrative appointments in higher education in the last two decades. In addition to her academic experience, she has held private-sector positions in the publishing and marketing industries.
Rawls believes that learning is a transformative event for students. Learning changes the way one perceives the world and how an individual perceives him/herself. Hence, Rawls’ teaching/learning philosophy stresses three main principles to achieve this transformation. These are:
- The classroom environment must be an active setting. Students learn best when actively engaged in the subject matter.
- The classroom environment needs to be fun. Fun lowers student stress which causes learning to become more natural.
- Classroom and assignment expectations must be clearly communicated.
- Doctorate – higher education, concentration in management – Georgia State University
- Master's – business administration – Rider College
- Bachelor's – business administration, concentration in computer applications and systems – California State University, Fresno
- Group dynamics
- Interpersonal communications
- Assessment and evaluation
- Teaching practice
- Nonprofit sector