Per Board of Regent Policy 4.3.4, Verification of Lawful Presence is required. Any student who cannot be verified using any of the following methods is ineligible to be classified as an in-state student or to receive an out-of-state tuition waiver. Positive verification does not necessarily warrant an in-state classification, only consideration for in-state classification. All students applying for in-state tuition classification that are classified as out of state must also meet the requirements outlined in BOR Policy 4.3.2, Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes. View the requirement and print the Tuition Classification Petition (PDF).
Verification of Lawful Presence Methods
Please send .PDF or .JPG copies to email@example.com (with the exception of military IDs).
- A current driver's license/ID with the REAL ID symbol issued by the State of Georgia or any of the USG approved states (PDF). Provisional licenses are accepted. Limited-term licenses and paper copies are not accepted.
- A certified U.S. birth certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory.
- Clear and complete copies of original and certified U.S. birth certificates may be accepted by mail or electronically for the purpose of verifying U.S. lawful presence. The copy must be of “an original or certified birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal.” The copy must very clearly show the raised or written seal to be acceptable. Copies that are not clear or do not show the seal cannot be accepted.
- A current U.S. Passport
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551) Photocopy must include front and back of card.
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
- A current military ID (service members only, not dependents), documented using the Confirmation of Review of Military ID Worksheet – Photocopies and electronic copies will not be accepted.